RoadBikeReview Member

Removing an SiSl spindle... Do I need a 10lb sledge hammer?

Everything I've read online tells me this should slide right out. But, this spindle clearly hasn't read the same info. It just stops... right there:

Drive-side:
    Removing an SiSl spindle... Do I need a 10lb sledge hammer?-screen-shot-2018-08-08-7.19.09-am.jpg

Non-drive side:
    Removing an SiSl spindle... Do I need a 10lb sledge hammer?-screen-shot-2018-08-08-7.18.59-am.jpg

Am I missing something... like a hidden c-clip? Or, do I just to break out the BFH?

Thanks!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Am I missing something... like a hidden c-clip? Or, do I just to break out the BFH?
    Nope, it'll just "slide" right out.

Maybe there's a burr or something on the axle causing it to hang up. Mark that spot then check it when you get it out. You can see on the spindle where the bearings are. You can lightly sand in between them to smooth it out.

My previous bike the spindle was a b!tch to get out. Had to beat it out. My new one it just taps out with little effort.

Looks like you've got your bike in a repair stand? Take it out and stand it on the floor so it doesn't move when you wack on it. You're loosing energy. Try having a partner grab the frame and brace it. Use a wood block on the spindle and a metal hammer.
    That was my method.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks tig...

Yeah, the bike is currently in a stand - but, for the beatings, I had it on the floor for the reasons you described.

The burr could be the culprit - or a groove. The BB didn't feel perfect when the bike was built up. Now, just spinning the spindle - it feels like &%*#. Makes the burr or groove theory seem even more plausible.

It's just hard - with all that aluminum and carbon - to swing that hammer. But, it looks like that's what it's gonna take.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    It's just hard - with all that aluminum and carbon - to swing that hammer. But, it looks like that's what it's gonna take.
    Haha yes a deflected hammer blow is a scary thing. A 1ft long dowel should keep the hammer head safely away.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Rub it............
    I used to work at a Cannondale dealer. Some spindles you had to beat out, others slid out with little effort.

As suggested, use a dowel or brass punch and a hammer to finish removing the spindle.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.