RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up Repairing my broken SRAM Red shifter.

Got involved in a pileup and broke my right Red shifter. The ears where the brake lever pivots broke off the shifter base leaving the brake lever dangling by the cable. A new right shifter is $300+ but SRAM does sell some replacements parts. They seem very scarce in the US but I was able to locate a shifter base in the UK for $60.

The SRAM parts catalog is not entirely clear on what you get or don't get. Turns out the base is the main plastic part with two covers and 7 little self-tapping screws. It also has installed the reach adjust mechanism and the fixed shifting pawl mechanism. The catalog also doesn't include any detail as how things fit together so take pictures and notes. The guts and levers needed to be moved over from the broken base. It's a little tricky fitting the parts in and holding them in position working against the springs while inserting the main pivot shaft. The pivot pin for the brake lever is retained by a long split collar inside the lever and simply presses out.

As I was assembling it I noticed that a tiny little "e" clip that holds the moving pawl in the shift lever was missing and must have gotten dislodged and lost in the crash. This was a rather disconcerting show-stopper until I realized that both the reach adjust and fixed pawl mechanisms in the broken base employed the same clips so I was able to salvage one and complete the job.

Works like new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very cool. SRAM did design these to be serviceable, they just didn't want to bother with part distribution.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Good to know!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looigi, I have a right Red shifter I'd sell cheap if you're interested. I had the exact opposite problem. Broke the left one, and found a used replacement set at a swap meet, so switched them both out. The right one I have now is in good shape - scratch or two; nothing mechanical. PM me and I can send you pics if you're interested. Was about to list it on Craigslist/Ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Hey! I was just trying to figure this out myself -- are you saying the shifter body assembly, like this ebay listing, has the shifter mechanism in it? My curiosity is mainly if I can "upgrade" the shifting of a lower level SRAM shifter to Zero Loss on the right shifter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willhs View Post
    Hey! I was just trying to figure this out myself -- are you saying the shifter body assembly, like this ebay listing, has the shifter mechanism in it? My curiosity is mainly if I can "upgrade" the shifting of a lower level SRAM shifter to Zero Loss on the right shifter.
    It has a couple of small parts but not the main drum, gear and shaft. Those must be changed over as you need to do with both levers. The body assembly is the plastic housing with the stationary shift pawl and the reach adjustment mechanism installed. No levers, drum, gear, shaft, moving shift pawl assembly, bar clamp, or hood.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Hm... I read somewhere that the whole zero loss is due to a spring? Do I just need the shift paddle part to get that? It appears no one has tried/documented this on the web...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry. Can't help you there. I haven't taken a Force or any other SRAM shifter apart so couldn't tell you the difference. As far as the feel difference, the bottom of the Red rear shift lever has about 4mm of free travel compared to 11mm for Force. There's no significant diff on the front shifters.