RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Replace Campy 10 Speed 34 with 32 tooth inner chainring?

I have a 34/50 front on my bike that will now be a gravel, cross, bikepacking, etc bike. I can manage with the current 34f 29r Campagnolo setup but it would be great the get more range to play on the mtb hills.
    The front is Veloce 10 speed. Anyone know of a company that makes a 32 inner chainring that would fit?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by steel rider View Post
    I have a 34/50 front on my bike that will now be a gravel, cross, bikepacking, etc bike. I can manage with the current 34f 29r Campagnolo setup but it would be great the get more range to play on the mtb hills.
    The front is Veloce 10 speed. Anyone know of a company that makes a 32 inner chainring that would fit?

Thanks
    What does the cassette look like? You'll have more options on cassettes than a 32 on the chain ring.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3T Cycling
    May 2009

Thanks
    The crank arm tab mounting area would require modification. Iíd suggest you sell the crankset and look at FSA, Rotor, Easton or Praxis depending on your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdave3T View Post
    The crank arm tab mounting area would require modification. Iíd suggest you sell the crankset and look at FSA, Rotor, Easton or Praxis depending on your budget.

What he said... On my gravel bike I have a fsa 50/34 up front and Praxis Works 11-40 cassette in the back. Works great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajunkee View Post
    What he said... On my gravel bike I have a fsa 50/34 up front and Praxis Works 11-40 cassette in the back. Works great!

But with Campy? I donít know of a Campy long cage DR. Iím trying to avoid changing the rear DR if possible. This idea came from me looking at SRAM 1x and deciding it would be a pain to swap the entire grouppo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    If there is a crankset with 32/54 or similar and works with my Campy that would be great. Any suggestions appreciated.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    But with Campy? I donít know of a Campy long cage DR. Iím trying to avoid changing the rear DR if possible. This idea came from me looking at SRAM 1x and deciding it would be a pain to swap the entire grouppo.
    You need only swap the crankset. FSA Gossamer Adventure cranks are now available aftermarket. Your current crank/B.B. should fetch a decent price in the used marketplace. Changing to a larger cassette with the Campagnolo freehub will not be easy. With a crankset change you can even go to a 46T x 30T chainring option.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    If there is a crankset with 32/54 or similar and works with my Campy that would be great. Any suggestions appreciated.
    54T x 32T?! Thatís impossible with current front derailleurs. To raise the FD high enough to clear the 54T ring the chain would catch the bottom of the back of the cage in the 32T x 11t, 12t, 13t, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    That is a good point! Seems there may not be a quick and easy way to do this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Ah you are preaching my language. 30/46 would work with the front DR. Not 32/54. Iíll do some research. Thanks!

'brifter' is a lame word.

You need to be careful throwing advice out when you don't have the knowledge to do so. The OP's bike is Campy for one thing. For another the person you were quoting was talking about cranks not cassettes.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

You can either have the climbing gears you want or you can have the go-fast gears. Pick one. Or...ditch Campy and get either SRAM or Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You need to be careful throwing advice out when you don't have the knowledge to do so. The OP's bike is Campy for one thing. For another the person you were quoting was talking about cranks not cassettes.
    You're right, I don't know much about campy, I was aware he was taking about cranks and based on all of my bike builds to get anything smaller than a 34, the cranks would have to be a mtn double or triple. I merely suggested a wider cassette may be easier to do. All my bikes have SRAM so I can mix and match my roadie and mtb components.

You're right, I don't know much about campy, I was aware he was taking about cranks and based on all of my bike builds to get anything smaller than a 34, the cranks would have to be a mtn double or triple. I merely suggested a wider cassette may be easier to do. All my bikes have SRAM so I can mix and match my roadie and mtb components.

SRAM would be a great option in this case if the OP wants to replace a bunch of stuff...it allows mixing and matching almost at will.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    OP...even getting a 32T ring to fit Campy cranks (probably won't happen), depending on the year/model of crank...you'll exceed the 16T FD capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You can either have the climbing gears you want or you can have the go-fast gears. Pick one. Or...ditch Campy and get either SRAM or Shimano.
    Without triples...the universal option to get wide gear ranges is a roadlink plus gigantic range cassette which applies to SRAM/Campag/Shimano. Except you sacrifice closeness of gear spacing for that range. Which is much more annoying, IMHO, on road than on MTB.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Thanks everyone. Iím looking into the FSA front crankset option and also the option of replacing everything with SRAM. I have another dedicated road bike so am not worried about gearing jumps too much. SRAM/Shimano might be a wise choice for bikepacking anyhow, though thatís a long way off and may even be a whole diff bike. Moving away from Campy has a lot of advantages, except initial cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    OP...even getting a 32T ring to fit Campy cranks (probably won't happen), depending on the year/model of crank...you'll exceed the 16T FD capacity.

Without triples...the universal option to get wide gear ranges is a roadlink plus gigantic range cassette which applies to SRAM/Campag/Shimano. Except you sacrifice closeness of gear spacing for that range. Which is much more annoying, IMHO, on road than on MTB.
    Then you end up exceeding the capacity of the derailleur by a bunch. Road link fixes one thing (biggest cog) but does nothing to increase the capacity of the derailleur to wrap chain. I would never recommend one.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I believe Veloce 10 spd is 110 BCD. The smallest chainring that will fit would be a 33, and those are hard to find.
    ďBicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.Ē - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    getting a 32T ring to fit Campy cranks (probably won't happen).
    Probably is the wrong word. The smallest ring you can put on a Campy compact crank is 34t. Full stop. No questions. No other way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    For anyone interested, I found a few options to change out the front crankset. The category is called Sub compact. Praxis Works makes a 48/32, FSA and Suguino make a 46/30 if I recall correctly.

I've also read a lot about Campagnolo 10 speed drivetrains (which is what this bike uses) being compatible with Shimano and SRAM DR's. I will put that to the test and copy some folks online who have used a longer cage SRAM XO DR with a 12-32 cassette. If that works I should be golden. It's a lot less $ than changing the crankset, plus more serviceable "in the wild" whenever we start bike packing.