RoadBikeReview Member

Replace Ergopower with Modolo Morphos?

I crashed hard today on my Litespeed and ruined my right hand Sachs Ergopower shifter. My setup is a 13 year old 8 speed with Mavic cogs on a Mavic Cosmos wheel. I'd like to get back on the road as quickly (and cheaply) as possible so I don't want to invest in new Campy 10 speed shifters because I'll need a new cogset to go with it and for all I know my Chorus derailleur won't function properly either. Anyone have any useful constructive opinions regarding Modolo Morphos shifters? I read about 25 reviews on line and for the most part outside of being a ***** to set up most reviewers seemed to rate them favorably.
    Humbug!!

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by spastook
    I crashed hard today on my Litespeed and ruined my right hand Sachs Ergopower shifter. My setup is a 13 year old 8 speed with Mavic cogs on a Mavic Cosmos wheel. I'd like to get back on the road as quickly (and cheaply) as possible so I don't want to invest in new Campy 10 speed shifters because I'll need a new cogset to go with it and for all I know my Chorus derailleur won't function properly either. Anyone have any useful constructive opinions regarding Modolo Morphos shifters? I read about 25 reviews on line and for the most part outside of being a ***** to set up most reviewers seemed to rate them favorably.
    Use eBay to find some eight speed shimano stuff to replace your shifters and RD. Sachs was spaced for Shimano.
    Retired sailor

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    Use eBay to find some eight speed shimano stuff to replace your shifters and RD. Sachs was spaced for Shimano.

and 8-spd was 'close enough' IIRC, so STIs ought to work too

Larry Lackapants
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    and 8-spd was 'close enough' IIRC, so STIs ought to work too
    as previously stated, you'd be quite cheap off with a set of sora 8 spd shifters from 1-2 seasons ago.
    That said, depending on the morphos' price, you could give them a shot. the thumb pads for up/down shifting may require getting used to, but so do the soras for down shifting.
    "There are only 3 motivating factors that change human behavior; pain, fear or ambition. Which button do you want to press?" Steve Hogg

Lexicon Devil
    Wait, I thought those Sachs shifters were re-branded Campagnolo shifters, and they were quite the rare item.

I'm seeing conflicting reports that these shifters were designed to work with Campy or Shimano clusters. What kind of gear cluster and rear derailleur do you have in the back?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Who
    Wait, I thought those Sachs shifters were re-branded Campagnolo shifters, and they were quite the rare item.

I'm seeing conflicting reports that these shifters were designed to work with Campy or Shimano clusters. What kind of gear cluster and rear derailleur do you have in the back?

They were rebranded Campy shifters. Retail was $400. back in 1995. I believe they were supposed to work with either Shimano or Campy. I have a Mavic 8 speed cluster and a Chorus rear derailleur.
    Humbug!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sachs ergos were spaced for Shimano- you could save the 8sp disk from your trashed levers and have them installed in a pair of campag ergo levers...

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by Shojii
    Sachs ergos were spaced for Shimano- you could save the 8sp disk from your trashed levers and have them installed in a pair of campag ergo levers...

Lots of 8 speed campy levers on eBay in excellent shape for cheap. Put your Sachs disc in those.
    Retired sailor