RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

replacement pump head

The pump head on mine leaks as soon as I get pass 100 psi. It simply is worn out. I see they sell some nice replacement heads but I have no idea how they attach.
    Do I cut the existing hose and install?
    Does anyone know of a good pumphead that will last a long time?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I just bought one on ebay. Not sure how cheap it is for $1.00 from china. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

There are different types. Some just push on. Some have a screw fitting that hold them on. Some you replace the entire hose, others just the head. You have to look at yours and see. Perhaps post a photo, or the make and model.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

RoadBikeReview Member
    What kind of pump do you have now? some have a replaceable gasket, and that's probably the part that's worn on yours.

Replacing a head is as you said: cut the end of the hose as close as possible to the old head, and install. You might need a hose clamp for a secure fit.

I have a Blackburn pump that's probably 15 years old. The gasket was worn, and I emailed Blackburn to ask whether I could buy a part. They replied that that model was no longer made, but they sent me a whole new head -- no charge. So it's worth contacting the manufacturer.

Steaming piles of opinion
    I happen to like the Topeak Smarthead. Comes with a nice long hose and a collection of adapter doohickeys.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Silca

Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    The pump head on mine leaks as soon as I get pass 100 psi. It simply is worn out. I see they sell some nice replacement heads but I have no idea how they attach.
    Do I cut the existing hose and install?
    Does anyone know of a good pumphead that will last a long time?
    Get a Silca chuck, cut the hose to remove your old one, get a small hose clamp, and put the Silca head on there. Replacement grommets are cheap and readily available and the pump head will last FOREVER. Assuming we're talking Presta valves.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Another great trick is to simply unscrew the front part and put a small O ring in there. When you screw it back together, it compresses and tightens it all up. I've saved several pumps that way that will inflate to 150 lbs+ (no, I'm not using pressure that high).