RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

replacing Campy ergo hoods

My hoods were in bad shape so I have some new one's coming from PBK, Is there a trick to installing these? These are pre-2008 ergo hoods

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    My hoods were in bad shape so I have some new one's coming from PBK, Is there a trick to installing these? These are pre-2008 ergo hoods
    windex is a reasonable lubricant that will not leas a sticky residue or damage the rubber. slow and careful will get it done (or rubbing alcohol)
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 04-01-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Big is relative
    I used talc and some patience. Some people use hairspray but it leaves a residue. Talc eventually works its way out.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Drop the hoods into a bowl of warm tap water which will soften them slightly, and the water is all you need as a lube. Then it's simply a matter of stretching them over the brake lever while it's still on the bar. Massage it into place, and you're good to go.

Note new hoods are easier to install than older ones which may be dried out or nicked and prone to tearing when stretched.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Thanks all for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Drop the hoods into a bowl of warm tap water which will soften them slightly, and the water is all you need as a lube. Then it's simply a matter of stretching them over the brake lever while it's still on the bar. Massage it into place, and you're good to go.

Note new hoods are easier to install than older ones which may be dried out or nicked and prone to tearing when stretched.
    I used the warm water approach although I think the other approaches would have been fine. My initial worry was getting the hoods over the knob at the top. That turned out to be quite easy. More difficult was massaging the hood into the correct position. Still not so hard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Isopropyl alcohol works great as a lubricant for installing hoods.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    Fuuny, I have been trying to post this video for three days and kept getting the Anonymous garbage. Anyway it shows how the techs do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNcZ6ibkb-4
    E fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli straniero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Dihydrogen oxide

Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Isopropyl alcohol works great as a lubricant for installing hoods.
    So does that old standby dihydrogen oxide (generic name: water).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Make sure you apply lots of good humor and a 6 pack of beer. It's a long, annoying fiddly job and will take you some time if you haven't done it before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Rove you rong time

Quote Originally Posted by gordy748 View Post
    Make sure you apply lots of good humor and a 6 pack of beer. It's a long, annoying fiddly job and will take you some time if you haven't done it before.
    Or less than 5 minutes if you're actually watching the clock.