RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015

Reset PreLoad on WI T11 Hub

How does one reset or otherwise adjust the preload on a T11 rear hub? What is the preload? Thanks!

Thing sounds a little crunchy - was recommended before new bearings try adjusting preload?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    http://0104.nccdn.net/1_5/30d/138/24...ADJUSTMENT.pdf

You're only concerned with step 9 and of course you'll need to loosen the set screws first.

And by the way the recommendation you received is a good one. There's been a couple times I thought the bearings felt rough but if just took a small adjustment tweak to get them smooth as silk again.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 12-21-2017 at 12:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks so much. What does the preload do exactly? Seems to me like the collar is either tight or it's not... I'm not sure what adjusting it will do...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    Thanks so much. What does the preload do exactly? Seems to me like the collar is either tight or it's not... I'm not sure what adjusting it will do...
    It adjusts the play or lack thereof. If you can feel play when you gently move the rim side to side you can adjust the hub so there isn't any play. "Preload" is adjusting something so there is no play. It can be bearings or a spring. You are tightening (or loosening) to the point that there is no play but over tightened.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Stuck on step 3, cannot for the life of me get the axle out: "Use a dowel or socket, we used a 10mm socket, that is the same size as the outside diameter of the axle"

10mm socket is just a fraction too small - at least mine is. Can't pull the thing apart either...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    Stuck on step 3, cannot for the life of me get the axle out: "Use a dowel or socket, we used a 10mm socket, that is the same size as the outside diameter of the axle"

10mm socket is just a fraction too small - at least mine is. Can't pull the thing apart either...
    You are just trying to adjust it right? That would only be loosening the set screws and step 9 as I already said.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks for yer help Jay - at this point I'd like to try and take the thing apart and clean - possibly replace bearings - the adjustment didn't do anything to reduce the small amount of friction/chunkiness I'm feeling.

I'm going to take a wheel building class and would like to re purpose this T11 hub - but I'm thinking - a rear 105 hub is pretty solid and inexpensive. This hub was sold to me as new - but I'm pretty sure it was heavily used - the bearings should be fine after how long I've ridden it.