RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Retrograding Chorus 10 speed to 9 speed

If I wanted to retrograde a Chorus 10 speed ergo to 9 speed is the 9 speed index gear (part no. EC-RE063) the only part that I need?

Clydesdale weighs in...

The "old" Branford Bike site is a good place to visit

You should replace the springs as well as the index gears. I did a quick check, and think this is the link. http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin/...88200140#item3

You will also need to replace the derailleur pulleys as well. They are different for 9 speed vs. 10 speed.

What I am not sure of is whether the new owner has all these parts in stock. I haven't purchased from them since the old store was burned down in the wildfire.

However, now I must go to the obligatory "why would you want to retrograde? 10-speed is here to stay, and works great. Most 9 speed hubs will take a 10 speed cassette.
    So, if I understand this, I am a Clydesdale Fred who is a borderline poser? I thought I was just slow!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    I thought I remembered reading a long time ago on the Branford site about retrograding, but now I can't find it. I have two bikes both with 9 speed that I switch wheels between. That's the primary reason for sticking with 9 speed.