Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007

Reuse a SRAM 10 speed Powerlock?

I finally upgraded to a 10 speed drivetrain and am using a SRAM 10 speed chain with a Powerlock link. SRAM says this link is non-reusable but I have read it readily comes apart with Park master link pliers.

Interestingly I saw this ad that hasn't quite got up to speed on the difference between reuse ability of the powerlink vs 10 speed powerlock. Sram Powerlock 10 Speed - Pack Of 4 2012 at Price Point
    E’ fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli è straniero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That link is held together by a sharp edge, which is damaged when you pop it off. Having seen the crash results of chain failures, why don't you pop for a $5 KMC link, or a re-usable Connex link? You can use the old link to ride down to the bike shop, but I wouldn't stand on it.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

Deja Vu. I thought we just covered this a week or two ago.

I guess "search" is broken....

ETA: Oh look at that....search DOES work!

SRAM Powerlock - one time use only?
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post

Why bother to post a link to a thread where you've posted bad advice?

It's a really cheap part. Crashing hurts. Doing things that the manufacturer specifically warned against for less than $10 is foolish.

I sincerely doubt SRAM put the warning in their instructions so they could make a fortune on replacement links.

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007

Okay my bad I been monitoring this site, but I missed that one probably because I wasn't looking for it at the time. However, the last post didn't include a major web store saying it was re-useable. Further, I don't like resurrecting old posts, but I will post on those that have been resurrected by someone else; I guess a Dr. Frankenstein I'm not.
    E’ fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli è straniero.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Why bother to post a link to a thread where you've posted bad advice?

It's a really cheap part. Crashing hurts. Doing things that the manufacturer specifically warned against for less than $10 is foolish.

I sincerely doubt SRAM put the warning in their instructions so they could make a fortune on replacement links.
    I didn't give any advice; good or bad. I simply said that I've reused them on my personal bikes many times.

Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    Okay my bad I been monitoring this site, but I missed that one probably because I wasn't looking for it at the time. However, the last post didn't include a major web store saying it was re-useable. Further, I don't like resurrecting old posts, but I will post on those that have been resurrected by someone else; I guess a Dr. Frankenstein I'm not.
    I wouldn't call 2 weeks an "old post"...
    Since I apparently give bad advice:

"z0mg! Do NOT under ANY circumstances reuse the SRAM PowerLock!!1 You will die!!!!!!!1"
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Anything on 2 wheels
    I didn't give any advice; good or bad. I simply said that I've reused them on my personal bikes many times.

I wouldn't call 2 weeks an "old post"...
    Since I apparently give bad advice:

"z0mg! Do NOT under ANY circumstances reuse the SRAM PowerLock!!1 You will die!!!!!!!1"
    Reused them many times without failure or problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Reused them many times without failure or problems.
    A lot of people drove Pintos without them exploding. A lot of kids played with bags without suffocating. People cut carbon steerers with pipe cutters. They point loaded guns at each other without killing anyone. People ride on cracked frames. And millions don't wear bike helmets.

Getting away with something is one thing. But I don't know why so many people take their one-off experience of getting away with something and turn it into advocacy for mis-using things specifically warned against by the people who designed and built them.

And yes, chiming in with "I do it - it's fine" is advocacy. Especially if you known to be in the bicycle industry.

Anything on 2 wheels
    A lot of people drove Pintos without them exploding. A lot of kids played with bags without suffocating. People cut carbon steerers with pipe cutters. They point loaded guns at each other without killing anyone. People ride on cracked frames. And millions don't wear bike helmets.

Getting away with something is one thing. But I don't know why so many people take their one-off experience of getting away with something and turn it into advocacy for mis-using things specifically warned against by the people who designed and built them.

And yes, chiming in with "I do it - it's fine" is advocacy. Especially if you known to be in the bicycle industry.
    When removing the link, no "sharp edge" broke, the link was then reinstalled and it felt exactly like a new link and is as secure as it used to be.

When "so many people" share their "one-off experience" and being fine with it, I think we can safely conclude it is safe to do.

In fact, I have never seen a powerlock open when riding but I' have seen many powerlinks do so although the powerlinks do no have the warning of not reusing them...

Now, we have all seen warnings meant to protect designers in case of failure although there are no known problem beforehand. I totally understand manufacturers not wanting to take liability but at one point it gets ridiculous. I believe this is a case of over-protecting against suing. You don't have to agree.

By the way, what's the worst that can happen when breaking a chain?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    When removing the link, no "sharp edge" broke, the link was then reinstalled and it felt exactly like a new link and is as secure as it used to be.

When "so many people" share their "one-off experience" and being fine with it, I think we can safely conclude it is safe to do.

In fact, I have never seen a powerlock open when riding but I' have seen many powerlinks do so although the powerlinks do no have the warning of not reusing them...

Now, we have all seen warnings meant to protect designers in case of failure although there are no known problem beforehand. I totally understand manufacturers not wanting to take liability but at one point it gets ridiculous. I believe this is a case of over-protecting against suing. You don't have to agree.

By the way, what's the worst that can happen when breaking a chain?
    If out of the saddle, a very serious crash.

This is purely a safety issue. I could certainly understand pushing things a little if this were something expensive, but links are so damn cheap, why should there even be a question of doing as the SRAM recommends? Eventually, someone will prove them right, and lose teeth doing it.

I simply don't understand people's willingness to push the envelope for $5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

This is purely a safety issue. I could certainly understand pushing things a little if this were something expensive, but links are so damn cheap, why should there even be a question of doing as the SRAM recommends? Eventually, someone will prove them right, and lose teeth doing it.

because they can

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Sram sucks. dont use it once and you dont have to worry about it.

There.

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Sram sucks. dont use it once and you dont have to worry about it.

There.
    SRAM does not suck, that's just silly

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007

Ever sign one of these?

Rider (or legal guardian if Rider is a minor), states that Rider has read and understands this Waiver and Release of Liability Form of the Rentee, its owners, agents and employees and hereby expressly accepts and agrees to the following:

_____ (Initial) Risk of Personal Injury. Rider understands that riding a bicycle is an inherently dangerous activity. Risks include, but are not limited to: DEATH; INJURY TO BODY; DAMAGE TO BIKES, GEAR, AND CLOTHING; AND DAMAGE TO AND/OR INJURY TO OTHERS.

_____ (Initial) Release of all Liability (Including Negligence). RIDER AGREES TO FULLY RELEASE AND DISCHARGE THE BICYCLE RENTEE FROM ANY LIABILITY for any damages, injuries, or claims, including any injuries or damages to Rider or other person or property, as a result of Rider’s rental and/or bike riding and Rider further understands and agrees to release the renter for any negligence in causing in whole or in part any such injury.

_____ (Initial) Express Assumption of Risks. RIDER EXPRESSLY ASSUMES ALL RISK OF LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY OCCURRING AS A RESULT OF BIKE RIDING.

_____ (Initial) Promise Not To Sue and Hold Harmless. RIDER FURTHER AGREES TO INDEMNIFY THE BICYCLE RENTEE AND HOLD IT HARMLESS FOR ANY DAMAGES, INJURIES, OR CLAIMS, including attorney’s fees and costs incurred by the Rentee, as a result of Rider’s rental of the bicycle and/or bike riding. Rider agrees that Rider’s obligation to indemnify and hold the Rentee harmless applies even if the Rentee was negligent. Rider understands this is a contract, which limits Rider’s legal rights, and it is binding upon Rider and Rider’s heirs, agents and legal representatives.

If portions of this Waiver are invalid, it is agreed the remaining portions will remain intact and enforceable. By signing this Waiver and Release of Liability, Rider acknowledges s/he has fully read and understands the above and foregoing.

Anything on 2 wheels
    Shimano also states to only use their chains with their chainrings. SRAM also states not to use their powerlinks/locks with non SRAM chains. All of that is bullshit if you ask me. It's not a matter of saving cash, it's just that it works.

BTW, I once broke a chain link in two when riding trials. I can't imagine it being more dangerous...

You do what you want, I don't care and I won't come whinning that you should reuse them. People are just sharing their experience, take it or leave it, it's up to you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Holy cow. This topic needs a sticky, or maybe it's own forum.

I use a single SRAM 10 speed Powerlock link for the life of a chain ~4-6k miles, which might entail removing and replacing the chain 5-10 times during its life. YMMV

Uber Clyde
    Back in 2009 Sram had a recall on some of the 10spd powerlinks.
    Correct me if im wrong, but before the recall i don't "recall" them being single use.
    Could it have been a cya move after the initial issues they had?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    Back in 2009 Sram had a recall on some of the 10spd powerlinks.
    Correct me if im wrong, but before the recall i don't "recall" them being single use.
    Could it have been a cya move after the initial issues they had?

The recall was for specific factory runs only with certain date codes imprinted on the PowerLock.

SRAM designated the 10-speed PowerLock "single-use" from the beginning. Their story was that they could either make a 10-speed re-usable link which was not quite as strong as a regular chain link, or make a non-reusable 10-speed link which was as strong or even stronger than a regular chain link. They blamed the "thinness" of the 10-speed chain. Nice story. What is true that you can easily damage a SRAM PowerLock by removing it incorrectly (excessive force applied in the wrong directions).

As to someone's wondering why people "push the envelope:" People who re-use SRAM PowerLocks don't really think of it that way. They reserve "pushing the envelope" for much more daring pursuits than doubting a manufacturer's partially self-serving claim.

Uber Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    The recall was for specific factory runs only with certain date codes imprinted on the PowerLock.

SRAM designated the 10-speed PowerLock "single-use" from the beginning. Their story was that they could either make a 10-speed re-usable link which was not quite as strong as a regular chain link, or make a non-reusable 10-speed link which was as strong or even stronger than a regular chain link. They blamed the "thinness" of the 10-speed chain. Nice story. What is true that you can easily damage a SRAM PowerLock by removing it incorrectly (excessive force applied in the wrong directions).

As to someone's wondering why people "push the envelope:" People who re-use SRAM PowerLocks don't really think of it that way. They reserve "pushing the envelope" for much more daring pursuits than doubting a manufacturer's partially self-serving claim.
    Good stuff.
    I remember the earlier 10 spd powerlinks being much easier to install.
    It just seemed to me that after the initial issues they tightened things up a bit.
    I personally am a big fan of the wipperman/connex link.
    Instead of Sram making an "expensive" single use link, I think it would have been a better move to just use a chain pin.
    Why make a product that "looks" like earlier products but remove the main feature of said product......being reusable!!!
    It's like a full suspension "mountain bike" at Walmart. It looks like a mountain bike, but has a sticker on it that says not to ride it off road.
    Maybe that's a bad comparison, but I think you get my drift.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    .Maybe that's a bad comparison, but I think you get my drift.
    I get the drift, and there's some truth to what you say. On the other hand, you could make a point for the belief that the main feature of all these links is or was not re-use, but ensuring easy and, more importantly, correct initial installation. Setting a pin correctly (especially with 10-speed chains) takes a good sense of feel, good eyesight and good lighting. If that's not there, the link is definitely the better way to install a chain.

Also consider that many people (even more so in Europe) never remove the chain from the bike until it's time to replace it. So what's made much easier with these re-usable links is excessive (obsessive?) chain-cleaning you see so much of nowadays. That's not something really recommended by most chain makers or -sellers.

Uber Clyde
    Good valid points.
    I can say that I am guilty of excessive/obsessive chain removal/cleaning on my mountain bike.
    But when done with care and attention to detail it really helps the drivetrain.
    Dry sandy and silty muddy conditions can wear stuff out fast!
    But when you get super anal retentive about it it lasts longer, ime.
    Of course this doesn't apply to road bikes as much, unless they are ridden in some terrible conditions.
    Which is most likely outside of their intended design.

Anything on 2 wheels
    What is true that you can easily damage a SRAM PowerLock by removing it incorrectly (excessive force applied in the wrong directions).
    Probably never had a problem because I used Park link pliers then...

RoadBikeReview Member

The "pushing" I'm talking about is encouraging other people to ignore safety instructions. Everyone can do whatever they want, but publicly promoting doing something the manufacturer specifically warns against is irresponsible. If I did this myself, I'd at least be smart enough to shut up about it.

No one who's recommending doing this is going to pay anyone's hospital bill if they are wrong. Unless, of course, they figure out that Platy is a bike shop owner in Indiana, and take it up with him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

quick links

Newb question. Looks like the annual dissasembly & cleaning of my chain (PC1091) and breaking the quick link may damage it, unless i purchase of use the ParK link tool.. Is the cost of the links worth the purchase of the Park tool?

Thanks, Curly69.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly59 View Post
    Newb question. Looks like the annual dissasembly & cleaning of my chain (PC1091) and breaking the quick link may damage it, unless i purchase of use the ParK link tool.. Is the cost of the links worth the purchase of the Park tool?

Thanks, Curly69.
    It's worth the $13 alone not to get your hands dirty, KMC and SRAM link comes apart with 1 simple squeeze. (I think wippleman connex links needs careful manipulation so the pliers won't work)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast