banned

Review: Origin-8 Torq Lite Brakes

I've been testing the Origin-8 Torq Lite brake calipers for a couple of months now. They are almost identical to the Feather 199 calipers. The main differences, as far as I can tell, are that the Feathers are machined out a little more, and the center bolt is a little different. The pads, holders, general shape, and other hardware are the same. Feather has a claimed weight of 199 grams for the pair. Origin-8 has a claimed weight of 220 grams for the pair. The difference is, Origin-8 weighs them with the nuts installed and the cable clamping barrel on the scale as well. Also, as mentioned, the Feathers are machined out a slight amount more.

The other difference... The Feathers retail for $399.99 (according to their site; $349.99 on sale at the moment) while the Origin-8 Torq Lites retail for $250-$300.

Here is the Torq Lite installed on one of my bikes:

Here's the Feather brake:

As you can see, they're very close. Do I think they are actually the same brake? No. I think Origin-8 copied them and - in my opinion - made them better. How so? These things stop like nothing I've ever ridden.

First, the stats:
    Me - 290 pounds of gravity-challenged Clyde.
    The bike - 2006 DBR Podium3 w/Aksium Race wheels and Michelin Pro3Race tires.
    The course - Wabash River Cycling Club's Wabash River Ride. 67 miles of crappy roads, short 3-11% climbs and long 5-12% downhills.
    Experience - Well, I've been a bike mechanic for years. On my personal bikes I've used Dura-Ace, Ultegra, Record, Centaur, DiaCompe/Cane Creek, Zero Gravity, and Tektro.

I can't say enough about these brakes. I fully expected them to suck. The Zero Gravitys I tried sucked. They really sucked. Every Tektro I've ever ridden sucked. Dura-Ace and Record have always been the pinnacle of stopping for me. These felt better. I have no numbers, readouts, or testing equipment. I just have my own impressions and experiences. While flying down a curvy 9% downhill at 38.37 mph last weekend, I had complete confidence in my brakes. They modulated well, they stopped the bike if I needed to, they're light, and they never, ever, went out of adjustment. They also have a very solid feel at the lever.

To me, the 21 gram difference between the Origin-8s and the Feathers is well worth another $100-$150 in the pocket. You won't regret buying these brakes. If they'll stop my fat arse this well, they'll definitely stop your skinny one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    If they'll stop my fat arse this well, they'll definitely stop your skinny one.
    Loved that line. Thanks for the review...I've not heard of them before.

foz
    naranjito
    Sep 2004
    I don't know where these brakes are made, or who makes them, but they're sold under a few different names. There may be slight differences between each version, but they're basically the same. Planet-X sells them for 100 UKP / 164 USD. They claim 205g, and have lots of colours available too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    It also appears that Rossetti (ebay and their own website) sell these too. Rossetti seems to offer them in black and gold anodized. They are currently on sale at $159 a pair (see the link):http://rossettibike.com/store/index....od&productId=3

I don't know if they're made in the same factory or not, but it sure looks like it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ckeen
    It also appears that Rossetti (ebay and their own website) sell these too. Rossetti seems to offer them in black and gold anodized. They are currently on sale at $159 a pair (see the link):http://rossettibike.com/store/index....od&productId=3

I don't know if they're made in the same factory or not, but it sure looks like it.
    Jesus! That's only $9 more than our cost on the Origin-8s!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    if you look at the Planet-X UK website, www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk, you'll find both the CNC and forged models.

some of the brakes that are being referred to in this thread are forged, not CNC machined.

RoadBikeReview Member

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AvantDale
    Not really. The Origin-8 brakes are CNC machined. Those appear to be cast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My bad...these say "Full CNC finished"...but they are orange...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140370544875

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AvantDale
    My bad...these say "Full CNC finished"...but they are orange...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140370544875
    They look suspiciously like the Feather brakes....

RoadBikeReview Member
    This whole boutique accessory industry doesn't cease to amaze me. $350 then a short while we have these. I wonder about the parts market aimed at high $$ buyers and how these seem to take that boutique level and just under-cut it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I sell Origin 8 products @ my store and feel that they generally have good stuff. As for who make them I get a good feeling that a company in Asia (use brakes as a example) that produce components with just minor differences between styles (per customer request). Depending on what
    brand is on the product there may be a wide range of prices with very little difference of performance. The Origin8 low/mid range brakes have cheap brake pads but the upper level brakes have very nice pads. I do not need light brakes but I feel that I need pads that will stop me and not scuff up the rims in the process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I sell Origin 8 products @ my store and feel that they generally have good stuff. As for who make them I get a good feeling that a company in Asia (use brakes as a example) that produce components with just minor differences between styles (per customer request). Depending on what
    brand is on the product there may be a wide range of prices with very little difference of performance.