RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Ritchey Breakaway Setup

Hi
    I am currently investing in a Ritchey Breakaway cross (size 54) as i live in the states but am from europe, love to travel and really into the idea of taking my bike to all the places i go.

However, im trying to save a little money and buy the key bits online and im having some fears about what is the right set up if i went for a 105 5700 set up

i am by no means a knowledge on any of this - but from what i can gather, as a not to athletic rider, having a 30/54 up front and perhaps a 12-27 or 11-28 at back is a good balance on a shimano 105 setup

i am confused however if this is for the compact version or standard double - i have a feeling its for the compact - is it important or better to have the compact? would this ration work on a standard?

i want nice easy climbs if im going to be doing long rides in potentially hilly places.

any help greatly appreciated

B

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    i should also mention it is a Cross size 54

Matnlely Dregaend
    I have two cranks for my Breakaway. The original idea was that when I'd go on a vacation to say Colorado or France, I'd bring the compact crank and when I'd go to Florida in the winter I'd bring a regular 53/39 crank.

Once I switched to the compact crank it stayed on there permanently. I have an 11-25 rear cassette and if I get to a climb that requires the 34/25 well, as I'm on vacation, I'll just slow down some!
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

'brifter' is a lame word.
    to actually answer your question, a 50/34 IS a compact, a 53/39 IS a standard. you can probably find 53 and 39 chainrings to fit on a compact 110mm bcd crank, and you can run a 50 on a standard 130mm bcd crank, but it's impossible to use a 34 on a 130 standard.
    you'll love the breakaway, they're great bikes. if you get the ritchey case, they fit really well and all the packing foam/stuff is included.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Strongly recommend 34/50 crank and 11/28 cassette. IMO, you'll find many occasions where you'll want the low end and virtually none where you'll need anything higher, assuming you're not a really low cadence rider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed on the compact crank. I find I am always in hilly places when I travel with my breakaway and not in race mode so the 50/34 x 11-27 or bigger would be best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    ok - this is all very helpful and thank you - i wonder why then 5700 but the code/model for the regular system but for compact it seems to be 5750? would suggest there was a difference.

so it seems 34/50 11/28 would be best rather than 12/27 at the back?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

thanks

great stuff - thanks - so i am going for the 34/50 and 11/28.

any thoughts on brakes? i was looking at canti's prob avid shortie 4's or 6's but someone mentioned mini V (saying that normal V doesn't work great on drop bar levers)?

and whilst im asking any recommendations on a good mid level, mid use wheel - prob want a 32 or 34 tire on it for a mix of road, dusty road, and light trail - lighter for travel but durable.

once again - many thanks!

Matnlely Dregaend
    You definitely need good brakes on a travel bike, I've gone down many mountain passes on the Breakaway heating up the rims because I wasn't familiar with the road. My Breakaway is the road version with Campy dual pivot front and back, so I don't have any advice for cantilever brakes. Make sure you get a compound that supports wet like the KoolStop Salmon.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get tektro minis or other mini v-brakes. Less hassle than canties and work well with road brake levers in terms of cable pull. My tektros 926a work with 35mm tires very well and leave some clearance on breakaway cross.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blueboy9876 View Post
    great stuff - thanks - so i am going for the 34/50 and 11/28.

any thoughts on brakes? i was looking at canti's prob avid shortie 4's or 6's but someone mentioned mini V (saying that normal V doesn't work great on drop bar levers)?

and whilst im asking any recommendations on a good mid level, mid use wheel - prob want a 32 or 34 tire on it for a mix of road, dusty road, and light trail - lighter for travel but durable.

once again - many thanks!
    You don't really need that 11t cog. Even with a 50 at the front, most racer wouldn't be able to use it effectively except in sprints.

If you are not doing any competitive stuff, most people should even use a front ring as low as 46. That's what I have on my "everything except racing" bike and it's much more usable at steady normal speeds than the gears of my racing bike. I even know someone racing with a 46x36 11-25cassette and he never get dropped in the flats/descents. 46x11 and 46x12 is still a bigger gear than what most track racers are using at much higher average speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    FWIW, I have 46x34 rings on my commuter and used the same size touring in the Alps a long time ago. Even with a 13T small cog, most of the time this will give a high enough gear - assuming you're not allergic to pedalling. 46x11, 50x12 and 54x13 are very similar gears and plenty big enough for most people most of the time, if not overkill. On the track lots of people will use a 15T cog with a chainring of ~48T, so 46x11 or 12 is way higher. Most people need to learn to pedal faster!!!

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    12-28 or 12-27 so you get the 16T. 11T is for racing down hill or beating Mark Cavendish in a sprint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    ^ Agreed. 16T wil be used quite a lot, whereas 11T wil only be useful at >70km/h.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I am a newbie and I am planning to build a cyclocross ritchey breakaway.
    Main purpose is to bring along business travels and cycle around, as well as join some sportive events, do some light trails.

I plan to buy the parts online and look for the most value for money. Is there any thing that I need to look out for? Eg, it seems from this thread that only certain types of brakes work? Does the brake need to match to the lever?

Any recommendations on where to buy the parts other than ebay?

RoadBikeReview Member
    the reason you want to use mini-Vs is because road levers have different pull compared to pull required for MTB or CX brakes. If you use CX specific levers it's not an issue. The rest of road components works just fine.