Thread: Road Seatpost

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Road Seatpost

I have used a Moots Laidback Seatpost for about 5 years. I am 6'2" and 230lbs. I enjoy riding a stiff aluminum frame. The Moots seatpost makes the ride very comfortable even on the stiffest Cannondale frame.

I am not a bit fan of carbon, but I am looking to replace my Moots as it has gotten old and after many saddle changes it creeks and is worn. Before I go out and get another one, I was wondering if there are any carbon seatposts that perform similarly, that is absorb the road as well as the laidback Moots, which sort of flexes on big hits?

I am very surprised no one else makes a similar titanium post. My only fault with the Moots is the clamp. If you have the right tools, which I do, it's not horrible, but it still seems to me it could be improved on.

monkey with flamethrower
    The moots post is pretty much unparalleled in the bicycle world, compliant, strong and light. Carbon posts probably wont have the vertical compliance that a layback Ti post has but carbon has excellent dampening properties that takes off some of the harsh buzz.
    Take a look at the bontrager race xxx lite post, carbon, light and you can't complain about changing saddles with that clamp system.
    To remove the creak on your moots post, simply remove the two aluminum bits, grease the inside of the Ti clamp, and reassemble. Ti has such a ridiculously high fatigue life and moots has such awesoem craftsmanship you post will not ever wear out.

Old, slow, and fat.
    I've run a Dean Ti post with great success. Made some of the bumps not so big.

I'd say if you like the ride of the Ti seatpost, run another one.

I haven't seen many Ti seatposts lately, but I'm sure that they're still on ebay.

HTH

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    check kent eriksen or blacksheep cycles for a nice ti post.

as a clyde I'm leary of CF posts, but I come from the mtbr side of things.