RoadBikeReview Member

Rolf Vector Comp Freehub

I'm not sure which year my wheelset is from but the rear wheel has 20 spokes and the hub bearing is the cup and cone style. Recently my shifting has been sketchy and when I really get on it I've been slipping a tooth here and there. When I was rebuilding my hub the other day I noticed that there was a bit of play in my freehub.

Could anyone tell me exactly what freehub is on my wheel? Is it serviceable? Are there any other compatable brands?

RoadBikeReview Member
    bumpity

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I had a set of Comps warrantied by Trek

Quote Originally Posted by SweatBlood
    I'm not sure which year my wheelset is from but the rear wheel has 20 spokes and the hub bearing is the cup and cone style. Recently my shifting has been sketchy and when I really get on it I've been slipping a tooth here and there. When I was rebuilding my hub the other day I noticed that there was a bit of play in my freehub.

Could anyone tell me exactly what freehub is on my wheel? Is it serviceable? Are there any other compatable brands?
    Check with the LBS that sells Trek for some info. Trek and Rolf had a biz deal on his wheels and their bikes and then that went south and Bontrager became the big kid on that block. Mine (freehub) failed and was replaced by a set of Bontragers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Hugi Hubs

I have the same set of wheels and have had to replace the cones on the rear hub, and found that these are Hugi Hubs. So you might want to start there or possibly even contact Rolf Wheels to see what parts they recommend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammer
    I have the same set of wheels and have had to replace the cones on the rear hub, and found that these are Hugi Hubs. So you might want to start there or possibly even contact Rolf Wheels to see what parts they recommend.
    I just had to replace the cones as well (they looked like the surface of the moon). I kind of figured they were hugi hubs I just wasn't sure whether they were the 244's or Onyx. I've been as sick as a dog all week. I suppose when I'm better I'll totter on down to my lbs and see if they have any idea (although their usual reply is ... "we look everything up on the internet just like you" ).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    i dont know if you are talking about the same problem im having, i have the same wheelset and the rear wheel is loose and i checked the skewer thinking it was loose but its fine, so the wheel has a very significant play on the rear, very loose and i clueless of what the problem might be, can you tell me what could it be?and if i need to replace the wheel, where can i get descent wheelset for a good price?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skilldunker2381
    i dont know if you are talking about the same problem im having, i have the same wheelset and the rear wheel is loose and i checked the skewer thinking it was loose but its fine, so the wheel has a very significant play on the rear, very loose and i clueless of what the problem might be, can you tell me what could it be?and if i need to replace the wheel, where can i get descent wheelset for a good price?

When you say the wheel is loose ... what part of the wheel? When the skewer is tightened can you move the rim side to side? Or does the cassette just have a wobble to it? As for replacements ... I just went from lbs to lbs asking if they had a matching one laying around. Eventually I found one and they threw in the dura-ace cassette that was on it too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    the rim moves side to side

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skilldunker2381
    the rim moves side to side

yikes ... depending on what type of bearing you have in your hub it could be that (although that's pretty radical ... basically you would have had to break a ball in your bearings)... also make sure none of your spokes are broken. If it were me I'd probably just pick up a new wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    got a little play in my rear as well. Same vector comp. Learned the hard way not to mess with sealed bearings...

i've been using them for CX so i'm sure that didn't help...