RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Rotor 3D+ lock ring

I recently bought a used Rotor 3D+ 52/36 110 BCD crankset to be installed on my 2012 Ridley Helium. The Ridley has a 68mm BSA BB so I also bought the appropriate BB conversion cups. When I went to install the crank, I found it to be to short.
    I subsequently learned that I had bought a crankset to be used on a BBright BB (Cervelo) but I could solve my problem by removing the lock ring on the inside of the drive side....I'm willing to spend the money for the dedicated tool but my question is whether I need to replace the spider?...is the spider different?...
    It appears that by removing the lock ring, I'll gain enough clearance for the spindle to go alll the way through.
    Any insight?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Contact Rotor USA. I ended up doing the same thing as you for a BSA BB bike. Sent it to them, they removed and replaced the locking with a different version then sent it back to me. I paid a small fee for labor and parts (they kept that BBright lockring..which I didn't need or want anyways). Spent about $30-35 total in the end but the details are fuzzy since that was 4 years ago. Cheaper than buying a new tool and a you'll also need a new lockring most likely (on a tool you probably won't ever use again).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by loxx0050 View Post
    Contact Rotor USA. I ended up doing the same thing as you for a BSA BB bike. Sent it to them, they removed and replaced the locking with a different version then sent it back to me. I paid a small fee for labor and parts (they kept that BBright lockring..which I didn't need or want anyways). Spent about $30-35 total in the end but the details are fuzzy since that was 4 years ago. Cheaper than buying a new tool and a you'll also need a new lockring most likely (on a tool you probably won't ever use again).
    Thanks,...I did contact Rotor USA and Aaron explained the process to me and was willing ( for free!) to send me the correct spider. I bought the necessary tool from World Cycling which I'll sell on EBay when done...All is well with a minimal expenditure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Your response on what you are doing looked familiar. Sure enough you posted the same thing on paceline and I just didn't notice. I never responded to that thread over there because others had already answered the question for you.

Good luck and have fun with the new to you crankset. I'm now on my 6th Rotor crankset currently and like them personally (had to think about it and didn't realize I've been through that many, sold and traded them for different crank lengths or spider configs over the years).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by loxx0050 View Post
    Your response on what you are doing looked familiar. Sure enough you posted the same thing on paceline and I just didn't notice. I never responded to that thread over there because others had already answered the question for you.

Good luck and have fun with the new to you crankset. I'm now on my 6th Rotor crankset currently and like them personally (had to think about it and didn't realize I've been through that many, sold and traded them for different crank lengths or spider configs over the years).
    Yeah, very quick and helpful responses over there..everything worked out ie: spider arrived, I swapped it, installed crank with new cassette and chain...works great!