Witty custom user title

Rotor 3D24 spider lockring tool

The tool used to remove/tighten this is proprietary to Rotor (of course it is). I just noticed last night that my spider has wiggled a little loose. I can order this tool, but my issue is that I have an event tomorrow and need to ride the bike that has the 24mm Rotor on it. My question would be, is anyone aware of another way (or tool, etc) that I can use to tighten the spider back down adequately to ride this tomorrow? I'll be putting plenty of torque on it climbing, so I need to be able to tighten it enough for it not to wiggle loose again. Any ideas?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'm not at the shop right now but as I remember the Rotor lockring has notches on the inside right? If so this works...I think.
    https://www.parktool.com/product/bot...ttom%20Bracket
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm not at the shop right now but as I remember the Rotor lockring has notches on the inside right? If so this works...I think.
    https://www.parktool.com/product/bot...ttom%20Bracket
    How convenient. The same tool used for a square taper BB!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    That's not going to work. Notches on the lockring are on the OD. Plus a Rotor 3D24 is like a Shimano crankset where the spindle is connected to the drive side crank arm and then the spider goes over the spindle. So that wouldn't even physically come close to fitting on the lockrimg.

I have had in the past one of those lockring tool and it looks nothing remotely close to that Park Tool linked. Looks like this:

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I must have been thinking of Race Face Next cranks...senility is a *****.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    The one made by rotor is crap. A slight misalignment and you break the pins off. Enduro makes a much better tool for the rotor crank. It holds the tool against the engagement area by bolting two pieces together. Don't waste your money on the rotor tool.
    Left is rotor tool, with a broken pin. Right is Enduro tool.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Enduro Rotor Crank Spider Tool, 30mm....$68.00 from worldwide cyclery (also on EBay) works great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1togo View Post
    Enduro Rotor Crank Spider Tool, 30mm....$68.00 from worldwide cyclery (also on EBay) works great!
    Except he's got the 24 mm rotor crank which is the other Enduro tool. There is one for rotor 30 mm cranks and another for 24 mm cranks. Be careful!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Ahhh..you are correct, my experience is with 30mm being converted from BBRight to be utilized on BSA with a 30mm BB
    Thanks for the correction...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1togo View Post
    Ahhh..you are correct, my experience is with 30mm being converted from BBRight to be utilized on BSA with a 30mm BB
    Thanks for the correction...
    I'm looking at doing the same conversion. Did you find a source for the spider, lockring and tool at a decent price?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnystrom View Post
    I'm looking at doing the same conversion. Did you find a source for the spider, lockring and tool at a decent price?
    I got the spider and lock ring from Rotor USA (in Utah, I believe..) ROTOR America: T.N: +1 801 393 4822 They charged me nothing but shipping...
    The tool ...Enduro Rotor Crank Spider Tool 30mm...from EBay...the vendors are either Bikewagon or Worldwide Cyclery...around 60 odd bucks..
    Hope that helps
    was an easy fix and the cranks are great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
    Rotor didn't charge your for the spider and lockring? How did you manage that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnystrom View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
    Rotor didn't charge your for the spider and lockring? How did you manage that?
    I was willing to pay..a couple of vendors priced them at around $50, I think...anyway, I just called and asked their tech support for a solution, they knew immediately what I needed and offered to send them out free ....I converted two cranks, each on a different occasion..Good Luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks again, I'll give them a call on Monday.

UPDATE:
    I called Rotor and although they cannot sell anything directly to an end-user, they provided a few options:

• Contact a local dealer and they will ship the parts to them at no cost.
    • Send them a pre-paid UPS label for a 1 lb shipment and they will ship the parts directly to you at no additional cost.
    • Send the crank to them and cover shipping both ways, and they will swap the parts for you at no additional cost.

Send them your BB width and the brand of BB and they will include the necessary spacers.

Service-wise, it doesn't get much better than that!

They recommended the Enduro CT003/2 tool for making the change. The lockring has to be torqued to 52NM (38 Ft lb), so a strong tool is required. It looks a bit like the Rotor tool, but it has what appears to be a hole for a 1/2" drive torque wrench instead of the through hole for the axle, which isn't actually necessary.

BTW, the 3D+ crank has been replaced by the Aldhu, but chainrings for it will continue to be available going forward.
    Last edited by Bnystrom; 05-14-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: New information