RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

Rotor Q chainrings

Has anyone ever tried the q rings from rotor on there existing cranks?, they are oval shaped chainrings that are Sappose to help in peddling efficiency and on hills

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conviccted View Post
    Has anyone ever tried the q rings from rotor on they're existing cranks?, they are oval shaped chainrings that are supposed to help in pedaling efficiency and on hills
    ftfy

first, check this site out...They're/their/there

yes, many people us Rotor rings. yes, they fit on any normal crank. they make shimano/sram and campy compatible rings for both road and mountain use. if you use the search function and google, i'm sure you'll find tons of reviews. they do have 5 (on the road rings) options for mounting, and some users will notice no difference, and some will be very sensitive to their positioning on the crank. i tried them once a few years ago, in position 3 as recommended and my hamstrings got quite sore. i took them off as it was only 3 wks before track nats and i didn't need anything new in my training. i am going to try them again someday for sure.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I use them on all my bikes.
    I was a consistent 80th place finisher before using them.
    I now finish consistently in 76th
    Seriously...I like them. some don't.
    Buy em and try em.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Yes the theory on them sound great,people I've asked never really tried them so I appreciate the feed back.Are they sappose to fatigue you out less there for make you stronger or should I say faster since your not as tired?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Yes the theory on them sound great,people I've asked never really tried them so I appreciate the feed back.Are they sappose to fatigue you out less there for make you stronger or should I say faster since your not as tired?
    Quite a few guys I know use them (Q rings only not the cranks) including me. Most of us have been using PM's for some time as well and the 3% increase power and lower HR as advertised by Rotor has not been able to be reproduced by me or anyone I know. However, we still use them. Honestly, I don't think I could detect 3% up or down in power so anecdotal evidence is virtually useless on this. For me they were very comfortable the first time I tried them and my stroke was smoother from the get go. I guess that's why I use them. Plus they look better than SRAM Red rings imho.

RoadBikeReview Member

Matnlely Dregaend
    You have been tried and conviccted of not using the search function!
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Brifter" is the coolest cycling word

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    You have been tried and conviccted of not using the search function!
    Haha!!...true,it was a late post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Grammar score: 2 out of three

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ftfy

Yes, but it's "on their existing cranks" not "on they're existing cranks."

2 out of 3 would be a pretty good batting average in the MLB but not so hot on grammar

banned
    Mar 2011
    ftfy

INTP.

Before you respond, first, check this site out. Now get over yourself.

Dictated not read.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbenben View Post
    INTP.

Before you respond, first, check this site out. Now get over yourself.

Dictated not read.
    wow, that Myers-Briggs thing sure is trendy now.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Trends

wow, that Myers-Briggs thing sure is trendy now.
    No, it was trendy in the 1990s. Although maybe it's making a comeback. At the end of the day it's just another "16 categories from 4 categories" system. There are several out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Has anyone ever tried the q rings from rotor on there existing cranks?, they are oval shaped chainrings that are Sappose to help in peddling efficiency and on hills
    I used them for about a year. They were fine. No problems. Hard to know if I was faster or not. I got them to help eliminate some knee pain and other leg injuries. Sought of like a last ditch effort to try anything.. They actually do help here.

I didn't like the feeling of pushing a bigger gear ie. in a 52/16 at the hard part (on the downstroke) it is like pushing a 52/15, but on the easy part it is like pushing a 52/17. They are designed to get you to the hard part quicker.

It felt smooth pedalling but if you don't have it in the right setting (I needed no. 4) it can hurt your hamstrings as one of the other riders wrote about and can hurt your sprint, etc. I went back to round purely because I wanted a 52/36 and felt they weren't helping me go faster and didn't want to buy new ones at the cost they go for. If my knees hurt again, I will buy them again as they did help here. I thnk unless you got knee problems, stick with round and save some money. I am going to be putting my 50/36 (3000km on big chainring, 1000 or less on small) on ebay in a couple of days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I ran them for about 2.5 years on my mtb and road bike. This year I went back to round rings on both and don't miss them at all. I actually prefer the round rings in the twisty stuff off road, and have been very happy on road.