Thread: RPM vs. Sugino

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011

RPM vs. Sugino

I am wondering which would raise the value of a road bike more, a Sugino double or a RPM triple crankset? I picked up the RPM triple in great condition today for $14 at a flea market and am thinking of swapping out the stock Sugino on my Specialized with it since my Sora syytem seems indexed for a triple w/ it's 3 clicks.. Going from 20 spd to 30 spd is just cool but I don't want to just stick a un-road worthy component on my machine and pay the price for it later on far from home. The RPM crank reads RPM CRD on the reverse side of the crank arms and the Sugino is just the stock double for the 09' Allez. Thanks 4 your time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    This your crankset? Utah Trikes - RPM Triple Crankset 30/42/52 170mm
    Its nothing special. It won't increase your bikes value unless the original is worn out. Also you may need a triple FD and a long cage RD. I'm a fan of triples for recreational riders but only change if you want lower gears.

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011
    It looks close enough, the one I got today has polished arms reading RPM in black lettering and the rest of it like the chainrings etc.. is all in black..The Sugino is fine, I just didn't know if one was better than the other, I couldn't even find a pic of the Sugino crankset and info regarding the RPM is even more scarce.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    You will likely need to change to a triple front derailleur and a long cage rear derailleur. IMO an (old square taper bottom bracket of questionable quality when new much less used) RPM crank is not worth the effort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The RPM crank is by FSA but it is not very good. If you want to go with a triple and money is a concern, I would save a little more and buy a Shimano Tiagra triple crankset with the Hollowtech II design and botttom bracket (The one with the outboard bearings). I had a bike that came with the RPM cranka few years ago and that crank sucked.....I'd rather use your Sugino crank than the RPM crank. BTW, the others are right: If you go triple, you will need a triple specific front and rear deraileurs (triple rear derailleurs are long cage- or what Shimano refers to as "GS" derailleurs).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Nashbar's house brand cranks are (or were) also made by RPM. As stated, they are made by the same company that makes FSA cranks.

I had no issues whatsoever with my RPM cranks--looked good, shifted fine, rings were durable--although the cranks were a bit heavy.