RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Running Dura ace 9000 with Sram red Etap ???

Can I run sram etap shifters, front and rear derailleur with shimano Dura ace 9000 cassette (12/28), 50 x34 crankset, chain and brakes?

Forever a Student
    Yes to everything but the brakes. You'll want to run Sram brakes.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    So, the sram front derailleur will shift the spacing on the shimano 9000 crankset?
    Thanks

Forever a Student
    I don't see why it won't. Keep in mind that OEMs are speccing etap on bikes with several different cranks such as FSA and such. I haven't heard of any front shifting issues from it yet on anything. Thankfully as far as 11 speed goes, most everything drivetrain related is spaced the same across the brands.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tv264@aol.com View Post
    So, the sram front derailleur will shift the spacing on the shimano 9000 crankset?
    Thanks
    Yes, it should work...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    But will it be optimal? Can't imagine SRAM or Shimano testing to make sure such a combination would work or work well. If you are spending all that money wouldn't you want an optimal solution rather than something that works? Just my gut reaction. It's not a reaction borne of any knowledge of the engineering of the two systems.

coaster
    My question is why run heavy Dura-ace cranks if not to "complete the group"? Plenty of us use Red cranks and cassette on an otherwise Dura-ace bike because they're lighter than the Shimano parts.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    My question is why run heavy Dura-ace cranks if not to "complete the group"? Plenty of us use Red cranks and cassette on an otherwise Dura-ace bike because they're lighter than the Shimano parts.
    Sram Red GXP crankset + bottom bracket

vs.

Dura-Ace crankset + bottom bracket

Look it up then come back and tell me how heavy Dura-Ace cranks are.

BB30 doesn't count, that's apples to oranges.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    My bike right now is equipped with shimano 9000. if I took it off to sell it I probably get six to $700 tops. The upgrade kit for the sram Etap is $13-$1400. The whole groupo is $23-$2600. That's my thinking.
    I have riden the DI2 for the last year but feel I like the shifting pattern of the new Sram etap. Both systems are incredible but the frame I want to put it on does not have internal routing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    yes you can, a friend of mine is doing exactly this.
    even his shimano brakes will work, albeit not as optimal had they been sram brakes, but they work ok for him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks, that's good news

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    The reason, so far sram only have 5 arm, 9000 has much better selection of gear ratios,
    I have run 53-34 everyone says it will not work, it does..

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony west View Post
    The reason, so far sram only have 5 arm, 9000 has much better selection of gear ratios,
    I have run 53-34 everyone says it will not work, it does..
    Sure...it shifts. But it's not great. You're over the capacity of both derailleurs. Not a good thing. Either the chain is too long in small/small or you're really close to ripping the rear derailleur off the bike in big/big.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I left out short cage normal rear mech, but didn't think anyone needed telling not to go to the extremes, small - small, but your right, people do some funny things, anyway, it was just to make the point of 4 arm 9000 up against sram chainset, you could try answering the chaps question rather than go all techy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    The 9000 and probably 9100 are the best rim calipers ive used, super record skeleton are good too, but dont have the quick releases.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Well, its etap then, ive fitted both Di2 & EPS to none internal frames, BUT to save being set about like, over my gear ratio,s post, ill not say how I did it, except to say, I am a frame repairer / builder.

I left out short cage normal rear mech, but didn't think anyone needed telling not to go to the extremes, small - small, but your right, people do some funny things, anyway, it was just to make the point of 4 arm 9000 up against sram chainset, you could try answering the chaps question rather than go all techy.
    Going all techy? That's the whole point of this forum. I give good advice based on experience, manufacturer's spec, and what makes sense. Your set up is over capacity of both derailleurs and I would never advise anyone to do the same thing. I'd hate to see what you might be inclined to do w/ any of your firearms given this attitude.

coaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Sram Red GXP crankset + bottom bracket

vs.

Dura-Ace crankset + bottom bracket

Look it up then come back and tell me how heavy Dura-Ace cranks are.

BB30 doesn't count, that's apples to oranges.
    Not if you have a PF30 frame...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Didnt say I use it regularly, just said Ive done it and it works, it seems your attitude to look through, find something you dont agree with, and go ballistic, all you had to say was, there are draw backs to this set up, I would not recommend it, but if it works for you, good luck,
    I still love you though, sorted the Etape, you were VERY close, but not total correct,
    See how nice I made that sound,

Regards Your Best Friend Tony, Gun Less.

Didnt say I use it regularly, just said Ive done it and it works, it seems your attitude to look through, find something you dont agree with, and go ballistic, all you had to say was, there are draw backs to this set up, I would not recommend it, but if it works for you, good luck,
    I still love you though, sorted the Etape, you were VERY close, but not total correct,
    See how nice I made that sound,

Regards Your Best Friend Tony, Gun Less.
    No. I'm not going to agree with you and say 'if it works for you, fine' because someone else may try this and circumstances may result in a fairly catastrophic accident. I only say this because I've seen it in the past. I've been doing this a loooooong time at a pretty high level, and I've learned to respect manufacturers specs for good reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Does that mean, you dont love me anymore, I have no idea who you are, but it must be very high level, as you keep beating your chest about, CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH, it give me that worm felling to know ive been close to Royalty,
    Just to wind you up a bit more, Im A Long Time Lover / Supporter / fan Of Lance, hell, you can go ballistic with that, no bad language now.