RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016

Running Ultegra 6700 with Sram red Etap

I read the "Running Dura Ace 9000 with Sram red Etap" thread. I have a similar situation. I'm thinking of upgrading my Ultgra 6700. I don't have the money to do it all at once. Of course, I will need an 11sp cassette and chain, but can I use my 6700 crankset with Etap? I was told the space inside an 11sp and 10 sp chain is the same. Will my 10 sp 50X34 chain rings work?
    Also, the lowest price I can find is on Ebay for 1580 with a warranty. The European price is more like 1400, but they won't ship to the USA. Any ideas where the best price would be?
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    If you can afford eTap ($1500 plus just for shifters and derailleurs) then you can afford a 6800 crankset (well under $200) at at least a 5800 (under $100).

I just don't see why you'd want to shell out HUGe money on a new groupset and keep an old 10s crank. You can buy uDi2 6870 for under $1000 now.

I see the appeal of eTap, but if you are going to spend more on the derailleurs and shifters than it costs to buy a full record or dura-ace mechanical group, then you have to upgrade your crank as well.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Can you? Probably.

The catch...the bulges on the ETap front derailleur. People on Weight Weenies and elsewhere have found crankarm-strike on the FD bulges when all is assembled with various non-SRAM cranksets (specifically certain Shimano Hollowtech cranks).

YMMV, at your own buying risk etc.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    If you can afford eTap ($1500 plus just for shifters and derailleurs) then you can afford a 6800 crankset (well under $200) at at least a 5800 (under $100).

I just don't see why you'd want to shell out HUGe money on a new groupset and keep an old 10s crank. You can buy uDi2 6870 for under $1000 now.

I see the appeal of eTap, but if you are going to spend more on the derailleurs and shifters than it costs to buy a full record or dura-ace mechanical group, then you have to upgrade your crank as well.
    This forum helped me a whole lot about a year ago. I was recently diagnosed with tpe 2 diabetes, and required emergency surgery to save my foot. Thankfully, I have my whole foot, and I use cycling as my primary exercise to attempt to recapture what's left of my youth. I am 59. A year ago, I was not able to cycle everyday, due to low back pains. This forum asked about my bike, a CAAD 9, and suggested a carbon bike with larger tires. Today I ride 28mm tubeless and a Madone 5.2 frame. I now have no back pain. I am extremely grateful for the advise.
    Last year, I was glued to the 34 ring of my compact cranks, and rarely moved above the third ring on my cassette. I was passed by mountain bikers, beach cruisers, and even a young girl on a skateboard. Today, I regularly spin out my 34, and am challenging my 50. I look forward to moving up. I hate to be passed, and man-up and draft anyone who passes me, as long as I can.

Today, I am remembering the hand pain I experienced last winter. I try to ride between and hour and an hour and a half per day. I do this after work. The cold makes my pre-arthritic hands both painful and unreliable. When I shift, I have no dexterity. This is why I am so interested in the Etap. Of course, I am looking at the Di2 also.

The thing that intrigues me about Etap is the shifting pattern. Using the left and right hands equally hits both sides of the brain equally. I don't know if this really matters, but my inner voice says it will benefit me.

The facts are, the Di2 works faster. The Etap is more expensive. The Di2 upgrade kit is $1350 at Merlin. The best price for Etap I can find is $1580 Its not about the money.

The smart money is on Di2. But I think Etap will somehow make me feel better.

I am thinking about upgrading the crankset first. It doesn't matter if Red or Dura Ace, I will get the Red crankset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you might try getting on the Texas Cyclesport email list - they have some great deals on ETap and Di2 upgrade kits every couple months. The 6870 Di2 upgrade kit is $849 right now.
    Last edited by Srode; 09-11-2017 at 12:10 AM.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by acudavid View Post

Today, I am remembering the hand pain I experienced last winter. I try to ride between and hour and an hour and a half per day. I do this after work. The cold makes my pre-arthritic hands both painful and unreliable. When I shift, I have no dexterity. This is why I am so interested in the Etap. Of course, I am looking at the Di2 also.

The thing that intrigues me about Etap is the shifting pattern. Using the left and right hands equally hits both sides of the brain equally. I don't know if this really matters, but my inner voice says it will benefit me.
    You can achieve this same goal (using both hands equally) with Di2. I do!

Di2 is fully customizable, so you can have any of the four buttons assigned to any shift. Mine is set up as follows:
    L(y) -- moves RD to smaller cogs
    R(y) -- moves RD to bigger cogs

L(x) -- moves FD to large chainring
    R(x) -- moves FD to small chainring

eTap basically has my RD shifting reversed, since when you press the right paddle the RD moves outboard (i.e. to the right) and when you press the left paddle it moves inboard (to the left). On mine the inside button on the right shifter moves the RD to the left and the inside button on the left shifter moves the RD to the right. (In my head it makes sense that the derailleur moves in the same direction as I'm pressing the button, which is also how Campy works.)

Keep in mind, with synchro shift it can be even simpler: one button shifts up and one button shifts down, and the system takes care of the FD for you.

I do a lot of rides of 80 to 150 miles and when on the bike for that long I like the fact that in not wearing out my right hand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016

Great tip! I like Texas Cyclesport and am now on their email list

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    you might try getting on the Texas Cyclesport email list - they have some great deals on ETap and Di2 upgrade kits every couple months. The 6870 Di2 upgrade kit is $849 right now.
    What a great deal. I am thinking about it, but with quantity of two left, I had better think fast. Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    This is awesome information. I've posted questions to sales people at various websites, without any good info. My LBS has no idea. According to your info, the Di2 will do the job for me. Which do you have, DA or Ultegra? And how do you set it up, in Windows or Smartphone? Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by acudavid View Post
    This is awesome information. I've posted questions to sales people at various websites, without any good info. My LBS has no idea. According to your info, the Di2 will do the job for me. Which do you have, DA or Ultegra? And how do you set it up, in Windows or Smartphone? Thanks
    I'm running 6870 on two different bikes. On both I have upgraded the battery to the newest version, and I ditched the standard junction A box for the awesome SC-MT800. I use the eTube software on both my iPhone and iPad.

I think the customizable shifting of Di2 is a very much under appreciated feature. I've never met a single other di2 rider who was using anything other than the standard buttons, but I really like my setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    I really like your set up too. I watched a couple of youtube videos, but am missing some of the fundamentals. Shimano's webpage is completely uninformative. Does your SC-MT800 take the place of the upper junction box? In the kit I am considering, the bluetooth part EW-WU101 is not supplied. Do you program with the Bluetooth or the usb adaptor? Much thanks for any help you can give. Here are the details of the kit I am considering:

https://www.merlincycles.com/dura-ac...kaAh-VEALw_wcB

The kit includes:
    Rear derailleur; RD9150
    Front Derailleur: FD9150, braze-on fitting only with Di2
    STI Brake/Gear Levers: ST9150 including brake cables
    Top Junction box
    Internal bottom juction box

Battery: BT-DN110 internal seatpost mount, bluetooth capability with the bluetooth part EW-WU101 (not supplied)
    Battery Charger: USB charger
    Cables: All Di2 cables supplied

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    Thank you so much for your insiteful post! I didn't want to take the chance, so I went with Di2.