Thread: Saddle Comfort

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Saddle Comfort

Is anyone riding any of the “Open” style saddles that are on the market like Fizik or Specialized etc. Just wondering if they’re really more comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was dropped on a long climb the other day by a blowhard 'bout twenty years older than me, about eighty pounds lighter, he was riding a beater bike sitting on one of those nose-less two cushion for each sitbone saddle things. I stopped wheezing for a moment to chuckle, then promptly resumed gutting myself.

Also, I have this theory that most seat discomfort occurs as a secondary to a bad fit on the bike and not a seat design itself. This is just a personal hypothesis having read seat threads on here for a few years. This is corroborated by the fact that depending on your position, and how much you're bent rotated forward your pelvis, the distance between sit bones varies.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I switched to a Selle SMP Dynamic last year after experiencing severe prostate issues. The Doctor said he thinks "I'm beating my prostate to death". After making the switch the problems went away and have not returned.

I can't say that I find the seat more comfortable but I do like being able to ride without inflaming my prostate.

hth

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I was dropped on a long climb the other day by a blowhard 'bout twenty years older than me, about eighty pounds lighter, he was riding a beater bike sitting on one of those nose-less two cushion for each sitbone saddle things. I stopped wheezing for a moment to chuckle, then promptly resumed gutting myself.

Also, I have this theory that most seat discomfort occurs as a secondary to a bad fit on the bike and not a seat design itself. This is just a personal hypothesis having read seat threads on here for a few years. This is corroborated by the fact that depending on your position, and how much you're bent rotated forward your pelvis, the distance between sit bones varies.
    About fit, I also think a lot to do with comfort is how hard you ride for a given saddle. I have very little saddle discomfort, unless I'm riding slowly to keep up with a weaker rider. I find myself sitting the saddle instead of supporting myself with my legs while pedaling harder.

About being passed by a blowhard on a beater: How embarrassing.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I can second the prostate-friendliness of the smp... I switched after meeting a mountain biker who told me the smp saddle was the only one that allowed him to continue cycling despite his prostate issues. I’m on a drakon myself, but would also like to give the dynamic a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    One overall truth about SMP saddles that I've found true across a wide-range of riders who either own them and/or have tried them, is this:

--if you are a rider that moves around on the saddle a lot, not only sideways but especially back and forth (when changing positions), be careful with the SMP and its shape. There is a reason you do not see the SMP saddles in the Pro peloton, or in any local and/or regional race I've ever attended here in Benelux. It is not all just because companies sponsor this and/or that rider with a certain seat...for SMPs, it is because the SMP-- by nature of its shape---actively discourages any true movement on the saddle. For those that are going to start a "pissing" war here, I am talking about true movement, going up & down the full length of a saddle. If you don't move a lot and/or very little, those people/riders really seem to like the SMPs and what it offers. On randos riders, I do see a few SMPs as well as the ever-present Brooks saddles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    It is not all just because companies sponsor this and/or
    I thought pro level component is all about company sponsor.
    that rider with a certain seat...
    I've seen some cases with component/s per racer's preference without sponsoring but the logos are removed or taped over. In that case, how would one know which saddle is or isn't being used?
    it is because the SMP-- by nature of its shape---actively discourages any true movement on the saddle.
    Some models, yes but not all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I recently switched to a Selle SMP Drakon. I don't have prostate or numbness issues (knock on wood), just want to find a more comfortable saddle. It's the best one I've tried yet. It's not perfect, but it's pretty comfortable to sit on and does not impinge on pedaling motion.

I think the reason I like it is that w/o interfering with my legs, it spreads my weight across a wider area of pelvic bone than before. I thought the big cutout would feel strange, but I don't notice it at all once I got the tilt dialed in.

Years ago I cared less about my saddle, I think because I perched on the saddle and took most of my weight through my legs. Now there is more weight to deal with, and my knees don't take a load so well, so I put a lot more weight on my butt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Is anyone riding any of the “Open” style saddles that are on the market like Fizik or Specialized etc. Just wondering if they’re really more comfortable.
    It would be interesting to ride a saddle that was offered with and with out a cut out to find out. That's probably the only way to really tell and IMO the outline, profile, width etc...determine if a saddle works for someone or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's going to be the experiment for you. Can be a complex fit to determine saddle angle relative to your position.

In my early days I'd ridden the Selle Turbo's (no cutout) and was pretty comfortable. The cutaways came in and I switched over finding that I didn't like these narrow areas of weight concentration even though they reduced the pressure on the nerves in that region. I sampled through a variety upon finding that the wider Selle San Marco SKN fit with lesser issues following a long ride. Age played a part that trying the Turbo's again was uncomfortable. The amusing part is that I find the women's Selle San Marco Aspide which is wider and even more comfortable. If I ride the hoods I don't feel as much pressure in the sit area. When in the drops, that shifted position does create sensitivity for longer pulls.

I'm about the same weight give take 1-3 pounds for the last 28 years so it isn't like I became a big rider in that time. Just comfort from those days being a late teen to 20 something have changed now that I'm in my 50's. :/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    --if you are a rider that moves around on the saddle a lot, not only sideways but especially back and forth (when changing positions), be careful with the SMP and its shape.
    This is VERY true. No question. I was using an SMP Dynamic for about a month, and it was very comfortable, however, I do tend to move back/forth a lot when I'm riding and this not possible using an SMP. The other thing is the SMP will, when setup properly, will move your position back about 15mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    To the OP. I recently switched to the Fi'zi:k Antares R1 open large seat after using the Aliante VS for many years. After downloading their app and doing that seat test thing. I found that I am a chameleon and not a bull, so I switched. Some years ago, the bike fitter suggested the Aliante with versus channel because I was experiencing numbness and pain and he thought the channel would help; it did some. What I found is the problem is/was my sciatica nerve. I've since found a couple stretching exercises that has relieved the numbness and pain from the sciatica nerve. Now, between the stretching exercise and going with a bit flatter seat, my rides are a whole lot more enjoyable now. The seat is definitely more comfortable after dialing in my fit with it and like anything new your bunns get used to it. Just be mindful that the newer Fi'zi:k seats have that velvet type material and not that vinyl type material.

Seats are a personal thing though, so what's good for the goose may not be good for the gander.
    Last edited by Methodical; 05-17-2018 at 01:11 PM.