Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Saddles: Leather or Lorica?

10K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  odyofael 
#1 ·
I'm looking at different models of the Selle Italia Flite Saddles.

Some have a leather cover, others lorica. What is lorica? Is it any good? More desirable than leather?

Any thoughts about the standard Flite vs. Gel Flow saddle would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I have a couple of Lorica saddles and they have worn like iron. Lorica is a synthetic leather. Wears very well. Real leather has a different feel to it, it breaths. Probably can't go wrong either way. I've used a San Marco Aspide and Era with Lorica covers and they were my fav's. Just try to avoid any that have embroidery.

No experience with the new Flite or Gel Flow. I have a old Flite Gel on one of my bikes (leather cover) that I love. Wish they would not have stopped making them (as for the old Flite).

I might go out on a limb and say the Lorica might outlast leather as a cover material, but nothing feels like real leather...

#5 ·
I don't know if it is acceptable etiquette to respond to old posts. Please forgive me if it is a transgression. I was searching for Lorica on Google and came across this thread.

I have a 2010 Selle Italia Fibra. I love the comfort, but I am really disappointed with the crappy leather. It bleeds black dye that is visible if I wear red cycling shorts. In less than a year the cove is badly scuffed. I was thinking about getting Lorica next time.

Has anybody had both leather and Lorica? Does the Lorica resist scuffing and bleeding?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.