Anti-Hero

Saddles- Max Flite vs Max Flite Trans Am

On a whim, I bought a Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am Gelflow saddle from a friend of mine. It wasn't used, but looked a little old. Turns out I love the freaking thing. I want to stock up, but it looks like SI has done away with that specific model (of course). Does anyone know if the Max Flite Gelflow is the same shape, or should I be looking at the XO model that seems to have replaced the Trans Am?
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I don't ride the Max Flites, but I do have the Flite gels on all my bikes. I think that "Trans Am" is the designation used by SI for the models with cutouts and there isn't any other difference in shape. There is a difference betwen the old and newer Flites in shape and I'm guessing yours is the older version just like all of mine. The "Max Flite" versions are a little wider across the back of the saddle than the standard Flite which I think is 130mm wide. I have both standard gel and trans am gel models and don't notice much difference. Hope this helps.

Anti-Hero
    I'm pretty sure that "flow" is the term for their cutout...

I really just want the same shape/size as the one I've got now. Just looking at the Max Flite photos, they seem more round, but it's hard to tell without seeing one in person.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    You may be right that "gel flow" is the current designation for the cutout models, but I think if you search Flite Trans Am saddles on ebay......they will all be the "old" style and will have cutouts, some will be gel others not. Those are the ones that I have on my bikes

The currently available Flites are more rounded than the earlier models. If your current saddle is the "old" style, about the only place to find them is on ebay or at a swap meet. I just check ebay often when I'm looking for a new saddle.
    Last edited by cdhbrad; 01-13-2010 at 07:22 AM.