RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

San Marco Regal-e questions

Just a few quick questions for people currently using one if I may....

1)How close is it to the original Regal?

2)Any issues with the carbon rails on the carbon version? (I would be using it on a Look Ergopost)

Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Don't own one. I have been using Regal ti saddles for about then years. I think the diff is the rails, carbon shell, synthetic cover and about 40 grams, plus a bunch of money.Otherwise the shape is the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Im the same-I used a Regal Ti before for many years and loved it, Id just like to confirm the new Regal-e is very similar if not the same before trying one. As for the carbon version Ive heard of some carbon railed saddles being difficult to fit into certain seatposts...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Two versions

Quote Originally Posted by slegros
    Im the same-I used a Regal Ti before for many years and loved it, Id just like to confirm the new Regal-e is very similar if not the same before trying one. As for the carbon version Ive heard of some carbon railed saddles being difficult to fit into certain seatposts...

For what it's worth-San Marco makes 2 versions of the Regale saddle. One with carbon rials, the other with alloy. I think they cut out a little material on the sides. I googled Selle San Marco Regale saddle and got quite a bit of information. Otherwise I'm no help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got a new Regale (metal rails) today from Competitive Cyclist. As far as I know the metal and carbon rail saddles are the same save for the rails. $200 ain't cheap, but I love that no-questions-asked 60 day return policy, so worth it. I can't comment on the feel as I haven't ridden it yet, but in addition to being a good deal lighter, there are some obvious differences to the original Regal (which I rode for a couple seasons several years ago; been on a Flite and Aspide since).

Obvious differences to the shell: there are two small divots in the shell where the sit bones hit visible when you look at the saddle from underneath. The top of the saddle is completely smooth, so my understanding is that they add a bit of gel padding in the divots, then cover the whole thing with a thin layer of foam. Pressing on the top of the saddle, it doesn't seem like there is noticeably more padding in the divot areas, but will be interesting to see how it feels when riding and how it breaks in.

Second difference: there is an engineered flex zone under the perineal portion of the saddle (apparently signified by the subtle gray graphic on top of the saddle.) This flex zone appears to consist of a U-shaped cut, as well as a few holes, in the shell; this cut is then filled in by molding in some softer red plastic. When the top of the saddle is pressed with a thumb, some flex can be observed in this area. Also, the padding on top seems to be a bit more differentiated in hardness than on the original Regal, i.e. noticeably firmer in the sitbone area, noticeable softer and thicker through the "taint" portion. Not clear to me how much difference this will make when riding, as it's not VERY soft anywhere.

More info to follow after a few rides....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Awesome! Thanks for the info! Please do let us know how it compares to the original Regal once you have some miles logged on it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Americano - any update on the saddle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I would like to share my experience with the the Regale saddle. I came off a Fizik Aliante x-Gamma so the difference was night and day. The Regale has a great shaped: nicely domed from side to side and slightly dipped towards the back so that your sitting bones settle in nicely without sliding forward. Only problem is it's really hard! My sitting bones have gotten somehwat use to it but what really bothers me is going over big bumps, you really have to brace yourself as your butt goes flying off the saddle. Perhaps this is more attributed to the poor road conditions where I ride. Would I go back to the xGamma? I did and it now feels too soft and squishy. So either I stick with the Regale or next stop, try a Fizik Aliante Carbon and hope its stiffness is something in between the two extremes. Update to follow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been riding a Regal for probably 20 years (actually several of them). I held and looked at the new one, but I cannot say I scrutinized it extensively. It is clearly lighter, but also seemed trimmed back, with less material on the sides (as was mentioned above). My general impression was that it would not be as comfortable as the "old" Regal, but that's an impression only. Since the saddle is the prime point of contact with the bike I am completely uninterested in trading off comfort for a few ounces of weight, so I'm sure I won't change.

Looking for my Amish Love
    I've been riding the Regale for about 3 weeks now & love it. It is firm but not overly hard. I used to run an Aliante & found it was too soft & the padding pushed up into my taint region. The Regal-E has been plain comfortable & wide to push back against for great power.
    Too me it feels a little softer than the old style Regal I rode a couple years ago. It's definitely a load lighter.
    Wiggle has them on sale right now, fyi.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dombey19
    I have been riding a Regal for probably 20 years (actually several of them). I held and looked at the new one, but I cannot say I scrutinized it extensively. It is clearly lighter, but also seemed trimmed back, with less material on the sides (as was mentioned above). My general impression was that it would not be as comfortable as the "old" Regal, but that's an impression only. Since the saddle is the prime point of contact with the bike I am completely uninterested in trading off comfort for a few ounces of weight, so I'm sure I won't change.
    Based on what you wrote, I recommend that you try the Regale, if you have cause to try a lighter saddle from what you’ve been riding.
    I found the Regale to be as uncomfortable as the Regal for the same reasons - a continuous punch to the nether regions.

Enjoy
    Ballan, we have a problem.