Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

selle italia seat recommendations

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JCavilia 
#1 ·
hi all.

anyone have any recommendations on a good selle italia model? the rail of the seat on the used bike i bought a couple of years ago just busted while on a ride and i am looking at buying a cutout (to cut down on any numbness) and titanium or vanox (?) rails. To be honest I am not sure what the material of the rail was on the busted one but that would not have been fun on a long ride in the middle of nowhere.

I am assuming I can't go wrong with a used Flite Gel Flow (for roughly 60 or 70 bucks) or a new Max SLR Gel Flow or Max Flite Gel Flow...is that right?

Flite Gel Flow: Selle Italia :: FLITE « Selle Italia

Selle Italia :: MAX « Selle Italia

TIA

#2 ·
I have had great luck with the SLR Gel Flow on both my road bike and my mtb. I think both of mine have the Vanox rails. I'd rather have a comfy seat than worry about the weight. Hands down, the best saddle for my body.
Good luck.

#3 ·
They're all different, as are butts. Did you like the one that busted? if so, what was it? You want to find a similar shape.

I used to ride the old original Flite, and liked them very much. When I decided to go with a cutout, it turned out that the various Flite models with cutout weren't shaped the same, and I didn't like them quite as much.

Eventually, I found the SLR Gel Flow, which is just about perfect for me.

#5 ·
Leather repair

Does anyone know a way to extend the life of the leather once it's started to wear? Note the wear on the back...
It won't look like new, but a thin coating of quick-set epoxy will give it a thin, flexible smooth and tough surface that will prevent further wear and be functional to ride on. I've done it with several saddles - shoes, too, where my heel rubs the crank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.