RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Servicing Mavic Cosmic Carbone Front Hub

I'm hoping for a little help from the forum here.

I have a "scraping" sound on my bike, and it's more pronounced when leaning. It is consistent in that it happens at least every few seconds, but in consistent in the fact that sometimes it does it for 10 seconds straight, then won't do it at all for 5 seconds. Make sense?

At any rate, I know it's the front wheel because when I put my Zipp101 on, the noise goes away. I have probably 6,000 or so miles on this wheel, and it hasn't seen any "maintenance".

What do I need to do in order to service this front hub and eliminate this sound? I'm thinking I just need to grease the bearings and tighten the hub, but I don't have the first clue how to get in there. This will be my first time diving in to a hub.

Thanks in advance for your help!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Flip your bike or put into workstand, grab the front wheel and attempt to move it side to side. Is there play? Some hubs have side load adjusters which need to be checked every few months. Its usually labeled with an arrow and a . If the hub does not contain adjustable bearing preload i would suspect the bearings need replacing. I would have my local bike shop which is a mavic reseller or authorized mavic repair shop service them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    You could try putting some grease on the middle part of the skewer that is inside the hub. I had an intermittent noise on some old Ksyriums that I finally eliminated by greasing the rear skewer.