RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Sette APX Carbon and Syntace P6 Seatpost??

I'm looking for a 0 to 5mm setback CF seatpost. I'm 215lbs and don't ride races, but like to do the best I can. I ride a steel and carbon fiber Zurich. I have a Bonti 25?mm setback and I'm having fit/ saddle problems. I went out yesterday with a Thomson straight seatpost and was much more comfortable with the positioning, BUT it seems very harsh and hard on my butt. (that's also the current saddle problem: can't go more than 25 miles w/o very bad pain ) So I figure that I'll continue to need a CF to keep the vibration down and also add a bit of flex to the comfort.
    It seems like the Syntace, based on their own advertising of 'testing', would be stiffer than the Thomson and perhaps the Sette is the way to go. Your opinion and experience is welcome. Thanks!
    SB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spongebob
    I'm looking for a 0 to 5mm setback CF seatpost. I'm 215lbs and don't ride races, but like to do the best I can. I ride a steel and carbon fiber Zurich. I have a Bonti 25?mm setback and I'm having fit/ saddle problems. I went out yesterday with a Thomson straight seatpost and was much more comfortable with the positioning, BUT it seems very harsh and hard on my butt. (that's also the current saddle problem: can't go more than 25 miles w/o very bad pain ) So I figure that I'll continue to need a CF to keep the vibration down and also add a bit of flex to the comfort.
    It seems like the Syntace, based on their own advertising of 'testing', would be stiffer than the Thomson and perhaps the Sette is the way to go. Your opinion and experience is welcome. Thanks!
    SB.
    The Syntace has OUTSTANDING ride qualities and is hands donw on of the strongest CF or Aluminum post out today. The stifness ratings will not affect the ride. The Sette post are nice post for the money. At you weight stick with the Syntace and the clamp has the most adjustments for a ST post and better/longer rails to support your weight.

Now, very, very few CF post will give a better ride over aluminum. Cheaper made carbon will ride more harsh than a well desgined and hight quality alum seatpost.

I had a sette for a while, and agin it's a nice post for the money. But if you wnat a quality ride form it then forget it.

Then again, getting 25c tires, better quality tires if you have not already and check your psi levels will goive a nicer ride than a CF post.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Ride qualities?

Thanks for the input DB, but would you explain what you mean by 'ride qualities'? Btw, I just moved down to a 23c from a 25c and I usually ride with 95 psi. Would you recommend a good riding quality tire? I'm a little less versed in road bike knowledge than I'd like to be. I'm on a no name brand tire now, and had been on Vredenstein Tri Comps. I really didn't notice any difference when I moved to the no name brand. Also, I live in an area with lots of traffic, broken glass and road hazards.
    Thanks for the knowledge transfer........
    SBob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Also check out the Origin 8 posts, as they're available with three different levels of setback. Most LBS can get them. http://www.origin-8.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I have the Sette post on three bikes (CF and AL) and Thomsons on my other bikes (steel, CF, AL--all have same wheelset and kit). There is absolutely no difference between these posts as far as "comfort" of the ride. They are both two-bolt, zero-offset posts that work as advertised. Thomson have the added security of having been around forever, but my oldest Sette post is three years old on a compact frame and has been rock solid (though closely inspected before each ride). IMHO, the wheelset/tire brand/pressure will have more impact than any seatpost on "ride feel". Also, zero-offset posts are typically used to solve weird frame fit or short-torso/long leg issues and not to correct reach problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I've also used the Sette APX carbon and Thomson zero-offset seatposts. For me I think the Sette did dampen the ride a little, but it might have been the saddle. For the money the Sette APX carbon is a heck of a buy. One problem is the clamp bolts are on the long side and if you use a low profile saddle they might touch the underside of the saddle which will leave gouges. I just cut mine down. But I can't use zero-offset seatposts anymore, I went the opposite direction. The Thomson al will probabably last a lifetime. You should consider a set back model (13mm).

Right now I have c.f. seatposts on both of by bikes. I don't think c.f. does much, but they look nice.

You could consider a Salsa Shaft. Independent fore-aft and tilt settings. Probably the most under rated seatpost out there.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

My current CF Post does flex when.....

.....I ride. My riding buddy says he sees it flexing. It's a bonty XXX 23mm offset. Maybe its because of my 215 weight? I bet it acts as a little dampening. I have plenty of it in the seat tube.