Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    79

    Shifting issue from 6-7th sprocket

    I recently changed my wheelset. I swapped the cassette over from the old hub. The bike shifted great before. Now it hangs up when shifting up from the 6th to 7th biggest sprocket. I have to double shift to get past it. Shifting down to a smaller sprocket works fine.

    Looking at my cassette, this is where the sprocket teeth change their orientation. 1-6 all have a tooth straight in a line going up. 7-10 are oriented a different way.

    So my question is, did I somehow screw up the cassette install (I thought it was idiot proof. Lol), or is this a cable tension issue?

    I know that changing over to a new wheel, I should check the low and high RD limits. Which I did. Everything seems to mesh up nice, and the bike shifts just like it did before, except shifting up from 6-7.

    The bike is using 10 spd Ultegra setup, except the crank is an Ultegra 6800

  2. #2
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,386
    Hard to say w/o seeing it in person. You can't mess up putting a cassette, it's not possible. Unless you get the cogs out of order, but you can't put them on wrong. The space between all of the cogs is the same so that makes having an issues between just 2 of them hard to diagnose.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,732
    Would seem too coincidental that you just changed wheels but problems with only one gear change can be a symptom of a frayed cable. Although I think, but can't remember for sure, that's going the other direction where the fray gets only causes problems at one certain point.
    Maybe not tight enough? Doubt that would only impact one but FYI you gotta crank it on pretty darn tight.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    328
    Often when I encounter shifting issues like this, I'll find that the cable has a kink in it. When the kinked part of the cable passes through the ferrule, it causes enough drag that it throws off the shift.

  5. #5
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,386
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    Often when I encounter shifting issues like this, I'll find that the cable has a kink in it. When the kinked part of the cable passes through the ferrule, it causes enough drag that it throws off the shift.
    Good thing to check^.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    79
    Ok thanks, I will check out the cable.

  7. #7
    Happily absent RBR Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,940
    Is the new wheelset 11 speed compatible? Did you install a spacer to allow a 10 cassette on an 11 speed wheel?

    Otherwise, the new wheelset may not locate the cassette laterally the same as the old wheelset. Maybe all you shifting is slightly off, but it only really shows in one shift. Check your index adjustment.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  8. #8
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,772
    Keep in mind, if you need to 'nudge' it only on shifting to larger cogs, I would think that you need to give your barrel adjuster a turn in the 'longer' direction.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,835
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
    I recently changed my wheelset. I swapped the cassette over from the old hub. The bike shifted great before. Now it hangs up when shifting up from the 6th to 7th biggest sprocket. I have to double shift to get past it. Shifting down to a smaller sprocket works fine.

    Looking at my cassette, this is where the sprocket teeth change their orientation. 1-6 all have a tooth straight in a line going up. 7-10 are oriented a different way.

    So my question is, did I somehow screw up the cassette install (I thought it was idiot proof. Lol), or is this a cable tension issue?

    I know that changing over to a new wheel, I should check the low and high RD limits. Which I did. Everything seems to mesh up nice, and the bike shifts just like it did before, except shifting up from 6-7.

    The bike is using 10 spd Ultegra setup, except the crank is an Ultegra 6800
    Beyond the other good advice you have gotten here, the only other possibility that I can imagine is that a piece of grit got in between your cassette cogs when you transferred the casset and so it messed with the cog spacing. Given the forces from the cassette lock ring this seems very unlikely.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    79
    I will pop the cassette off, clean it, and reinstall. Yes it has the required spacers. One that came with the cassette, and one that came with the wheelset for use with a 10 spd hub.

    I have also thought that maybe my right shifter is getting gummed up and needs to be cleaned. I had an issue with my left shifter recently, and had to flush it out.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,660
    Possibly you missed putting one of the spacers back in between the cogs?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  12. #12
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,386
    It would be a major shifting issue if you forgot a spacer, and it would be very easy to see as 2 cogs would be touching each other. Most likely not the problem.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,660
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It would be a major shifting issue if you forgot a spacer, and it would be very easy to see as 2 cogs would be touching each other. Most likely not the problem.
    OK, probably not this. I do have a friend who had a hack put together what I can only describe as a "cassette mashup". There was no gap between 2nd and 3rd gear. I was shaking my head. But interestingly, while the shifting was poor, the bike was rideable.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    79
    Yes I thought about the spacers too. All are accounted for and installed.

    I should have some time this weekend to really dig into the issue.

Similar Threads

  1. shifting from 3rd to 1st sprocket
    By Burbage in forum Shimano
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
  2. rear derailler not shifting to smallest sprocket - 1x9
    By green_mnt_boy in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 09:06 AM
  3. Foslom-Sacramento Group Ride: August 7th
    By folsom_rider in forum Northern California
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 08:52 PM
  4. 7th TdFwin, 1 hr record, or Giro win?
    By Reynolds531 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:44 AM
  5. USCF Event Blossom Music Aug 7th
    By msohio in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.