RoadBikeReview Member

Shimano 105 5700 brakes

I'm revamping one of my bikes for commuting duty. Its got 105 5600 series STI shifters and Tektro brakes. Although there is adequate clearance for Crud fenders between the bridge and the tire, the thicker Tektro body swallows it up. I'm thinking of replacing the Tektro with the slimmer 105 5600 or 5700 brakes to give me the 4mm I need to install the Cruds.
    I can find the 5700 at a substantially lesser cost than the 5600; the question is will the 5700 brakes work well enough with the 5600 shifters to at least match the performance of the Tektro (which is ok with swisstop pads)? If my understanding is correct the cable pull is different between the 5600 and 5700 shifters which would result to mussier brakes.

Spokane, Washington
    The 5700 brakes will work fine with your 5600 shifters. The difference in cable pull is minor at worst and a bonus is that the 5700 calipers will offer you better braking that the Tektros you have now.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my opinion, you would be be better served with 5600 or 6600 brake calipers. The 4600,5700,6700 require more cable pull than the 5600 levers provide. The 5600 lever may bottom out against handlebar before maximum braking power is reached by 5700 caliper.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,J
    ---- (O)/ (O)
    Cannondale SystemSix, SRAM Rival/Force
    Cinelli Aliante - Campagnolo Veloce
    Motobecane Immortal - SRAM Apex
    Kestrel Evoke SL - SRAM Rival (RIP)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have you actually done it and now for sure or you expect the lever may bottom out before max pull is applied?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I'm running 6600 shifters with 7900 brakes. The cable pull is really a non-issue. Shimano really wants you to upgrade everything, but 'most' of the time you don't have to. Adjust the brakes properly and you will be very happy with the results.

Spokane, Washington
    ^^^THIS^^^ There is such a very small difference in the actual distance the cable is pulled. I run 7800 levers with 6700 brakes. It's not an issue in any way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for all replies. I'll go with the 5700. I also checked the Shimano tech docs; they do show a small derating of the braking power applied but still have it as a viable option.

Spokane, Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    Thanks for all replies. I'll go with the 5700. I also checked the Shimano tech docs; they do show a small derating of the braking power applied but still have it as a viable option.
    A "derating" only in terms of using 5700 brakes with 5700 levers. What you will wind up with will be far better than your current set-up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    No loss in braking power.

When you use a longer-pull brake with a shorter-pull lever, you end up with more braking power, but potentially a more finicky setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Just tighten the slack a little more and you should be ok!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Hello,
    Forgive the resumption of this old thread you ran on this, but did you ever fit the 5700 caliper brakes and use them with 5600 levers? If so were they ok, good or bad? I ask because I've 5600 levers and need to replace the OEM calipers on my bike, and can get 5700 brakes at half the price of 5600 (if I can even find a pair of 5600, as they're becoming scarce).
    Many thanks in advance,
    Vanhulle

RoadBikeReview Member
    The BR5700 calipers will work with ST5600 levers. BR5600 and BR6600 will work better. It is analogous to using V-brakes with MTB levers that were intended for cantilevers brakes.