Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    Shimano 105 double cranks w/ 105 triple rear derailleur?

    I'm in process of upgrading a Trek 1000 road bike to 105 shifters, cranks, front derailleur, etc. I already have a 105 rear derailleur that I was using with the stock triple cranks. I want to upgrade to double 105 cranks + save some money by using my existing 105 triple rear derailleur.

    Will this combination be compatible? Any advice would be great! Thank you.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    should be compatible

    I am pretty sure the only difference is the cage length is longer on the triple RD vs the double RD. So it will work fine, but you dont need the longer cage with a double so your chain will be longer than it needs to be, though the plus side is you can run a large cassette (like a 29 tooth cog) if you ever desire.

    The most important things you need to buy are cranks (obviously), probably a new BB since anything lower on the price scale than 105 is tapered instead of octalink splined, and probably shifters depending on what you have now. I know Tiagra triple shifters will work with a double, but its not easy setting up the FD-- if you are like me and suck at adjusting deraillers get a left shifter indexed for a double and save yourself a big headache.

    If you are trying to do it as cheaply as possible, Cranks, BB, Left Shifter and you should be up and running, maybe for less than a hundred bucks. Check out cambriabike.com, a few months ago they had 105 doubles on sale for $55.

    good luck


    Quote Originally Posted by Bike junkie
    I'm in process of upgrading a Trek 1000 road bike to 105 shifters, cranks, front derailleur, etc. I already have a 105 rear derailleur that I was using with the stock triple cranks. I want to upgrade to double 105 cranks + save some money by using my existing 105 triple rear derailleur.

    Will this combination be compatible? Any advice would be great! Thank you.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,876
    A rear derailleur actually has two limits, chain wrap capacity and maximum cog size. A short cage derailleur will accommodate a 29 tooth cog even though Shimano says maximum of 27 for either short or long cage.

    My question to the original poster is how much money do you think is prudent to spend on a Trek 1000. Generally you'll get more bike for the money by upgrading the whole bike, not just the components.

    ~Al

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13

    I hear you but...

    I use the road bike for pulling around my son in a bike trailer, commuting, and fitness riding. I just want to have a little improved shifting and stiffer crank performance without spending buying a whole new bike. MTN biking is my main focus, so that's where I spend the $$$ for performance.

    Thanks for the information/advice!

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by TheColdOne
    I am pretty sure the only difference is the cage length is longer on the triple RD vs the double RD. So it will work fine, but you dont need the longer cage with a double so your chain will be longer than it needs to be, though the plus side is you can run a large cassette (like a 29 tooth cog) if you ever desire.

    The most important things you need to buy are cranks (obviously), probably a new BB since anything lower on the price scale than 105 is tapered instead of octalink splined, and probably shifters depending on what you have now. I know Tiagra triple shifters will work with a double, but its not easy setting up the FD-- if you are like me and suck at adjusting deraillers get a left shifter indexed for a double and save yourself a big headache.

    If you are trying to do it as cheaply as possible, Cranks, BB, Left Shifter and you should be up and running, maybe for less than a hundred bucks. Check out cambriabike.com, a few months ago they had 105 doubles on sale for $55.

    good luck
    if you can set up the fd with a tripple you should be able to do a double its the same thing minus the big ring with shimano you dont know what youre doing or something

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by TheColdOne
    I am pretty sure the only difference is the cage length is longer on the triple RD vs the double RD. So it will work fine, but you dont need the longer cage with a double so your chain will be longer than it needs to be, though the plus side is you can run a large cassette (like a 29 tooth cog) if you ever desire.

    The most important things you need to buy are cranks (obviously), probably a new BB since anything lower on the price scale than 105 is tapered instead of octalink splined, and probably shifters depending on what you have now. I know Tiagra triple shifters will work with a double, but its not easy setting up the FD-- if you are like me and suck at adjusting deraillers get a left shifter indexed for a double and save yourself a big headache.

    If you are trying to do it as cheaply as possible, Cranks, BB, Left Shifter and you should be up and running, maybe for less than a hundred bucks. Check out cambriabike.com, a few months ago they had 105 doubles on sale for $55.

    good luck
    dont tell him to spend extra money what do you own a bike shop his set up will work perfectly

    of course it sounds like the whole upgrade project is a waste a trek 1000 frame isnt worth upgrading what you got is good enough you prolly wont even notice any better performance at all

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by fushman
    dont tell him to spend extra money what do you own a bike shop his set up will work perfectly

    of course it sounds like the whole upgrade project is a waste a trek 1000 frame isnt worth upgrading what you got is good enough you prolly wont even notice any better performance at all
    just answering his questions ... And there is a pretty reasonable weight difference between a 105 double and a tiagra triple. Why isn't a trek 1000 frame worth upgrading compared with any other cheap, stamped-out aluminum frame??? What, you need to buy a $2000 Merckx before considering upgrading components? Sounds like you are the one who owns a bike shop, smartass !

Similar Threads

  1. Utegra shifters double v. triple setup and the "half shift".
    By mk_42 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 05:26 AM
  2. Difference between double and triple fr. der.?
    By bludoggy in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 06:09 PM
  3. sticky shimano 105 rear shifter
    By gdugs in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:03 PM
  4. Big guys and double vs triple.
    By Miggido in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 07:06 AM
  5. Convert Ultegra double to triple
    By JimGR in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 05:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

EUROBIKE

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook