Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1

    Shimano 105 triple vs. double shifter

    I'd like to change my 2011 Trek 2.1 triple to a compact double. Besides the obvious change of the crankset and the FD, I've been told by different LBS that I would / would not need to change my 105 shifter. Any one have direct experience? Please no lectures on why I want to change. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,051
    I have used a triple shifter with a double a few times. It is all in the setup to make it work well. It does work though.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,317
    Yeah 105 shifters are designed ot work with either a triple or double (or so I was told but the shop when I bought a bike with 105 shifters) I'm not sure what adjustments are necessary. also, what I'm saying is based on what I was told about the previous model 105 shifters. don't know if anything changed when they revamped 105.
    double check with your local shop before buying a a new crank but I'm pretty sure you'll be all set.

  4. #4
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,051
    The 5500 series shifters didnt matter. Then people didnt set them up right for a double and damaged the shifters forcing a gear that wasnt there. They then went to a couble and triple specific design.

    You can use a triple shifter with a double but not the other way around.

    Set your deraileur limits then install the cable with the shifter in the low position. Basicly you will only use the small nd middle chainring positions on the shifter. Set the limits so you dont accidently try to force another shift.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,317
    Ah, thanks for clarifying.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: svard75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    The 5500 series shifters didnt matter. Then people didnt set them up right for a double and damaged the shifters forcing a gear that wasnt there. They then went to a couble and triple specific design.

    You can use a triple shifter with a double but not the other way around.

    Set your deraileur limits then install the cable with the shifter in the low position. Basicly you will only use the small nd middle chainring positions on the shifter. Set the limits so you dont accidently try to force another shift.
    Are the pull ratios different between low-mid and mid-high? I ask because on my mtb i went to 2x in the front eliminating my 44 and found the ratio was different so i ended up using the mid-high shifts for the mid-low rings. Works great. I didnt change the crank (still m970) but changed the rings 26/36.

  7. #7
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,051
    Quote Originally Posted by svard75 View Post
    Are the pull ratios different between low-mid and mid-high? I ask because on my mtb i went to 2x in the front eliminating my 44 and found the ratio was different so i ended up using the mid-high shifts for the mid-low rings. Works great. I didnt change the crank (still m970) but changed the rings 26/36.
    No, they are the same. You do loose the trim on the big ring if you use the mid-big set up.
    It is safer that way because you just slack the cable alot if you shift to a gear that is not there.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: svard75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    ...You do loose the trim on the big ring if you use the mid-big set up.
    ..

    What do you mean? I thought trim was done with the barrel adjusters. Is there a trim screw in the shifter too?

    Sent using my retarded blackberry

  9. #9
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    Reputation: tihsepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,051
    Quote Originally Posted by svard75 View Post
    What do you mean? I thought trim was done with the barrel adjusters. Is there a trim screw in the shifter too?

    Sent using my retarded blackberry
    Triming is a half shift that keeps derailleur rub to a minimum. I seem to remember that a triple shifter had 5 clicks. Now I just read that all positions have a trim so there should be a total of six clicks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Hot Deals

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!




















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook