Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Shimano 11 speed chain quick connect

Hi, Ive always used the 9 and 10 speed quick connect links on my Shimano chains. I have a new bike with 11 speed Dura Ace on it. Does anyone know of a quick link compatible with the new 11 speed chain?

second question, the only chain breaking tool I have is my shimano 9 speed one, will this still work on the 11 speed chain, not sure if the pins are different sizes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The pin size should be the same. The only problem I've seen when using older 9 speed chain tools, is an improper fit with the center support. The outer side plate is supposed to rest against the back of the tool, when pressing a pin out. With the thinner chain, the center support may contact the inside of the the outer plate closest to the drive pin and not allow the chain to sit properly. To fix that, I just filed on the center support to reduce it's thickness. I did this once when 10 speed chains came out in 2000 and again in 2008, for 11 speed chains.

KMC makes an 11 speed link and so does IRD, although the IRD might be hard to find. To be sure that it fits properly, use a feeler gage and check the clearance between the inner and outer plates. You want .004 inch minimum and .008 maximum. You can get by with as much as .012 inch of clearance, but that's kind of sloppy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks, i saw that KMC did an 11 speed link, but its listed as "Campagnolo only" and not sure if compatible or not. I have sent KMC an email as well asking if they do one for the new Shimano chain.

cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    11 speed chains are all going to be very close to the same 5.6mm outer width. To get that width, there is little room to change the dimensions significantly. It would be really odd for KMC to make a link just for a Campy chain, and a different one for their own 11 speed chain.

Campy did go to a special effort to keep the roller width as wide as possible and did that by making the outer plates thinner, using a stronger grade of steel. There is some chance that a Shimano 11 chain might be a little narrower across the inner plates. That's why I suggest measuring the clearance. As long as the link is a reasonably close fit, there shouldn't be a problem.

Most sellers of the KMC links list it as compatible with the KMC or Campy chain, at present.

Velocipediologist
    I read that the Shimano 11 spd chain roller width is identical to the Shimano 10 spd roller width. And that Shimano is using thinner side plates.
    This mssg brought to you by Mr. Bananas.

Shouldn't it be called a 'nipple wrench'?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Buy a Shimano 11spd chain tool. After all you are riding Dura-Ace. The new tool is backwards compatible with 10spd, 9 spd, etc.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40 View Post
    11 speed chains are all going to be very close to the same 5.6mm outer width. To get that width, there is little room to change the dimensions significantly. It would be really odd for KMC to make a link just for a Campy chain, and a different one for their own 11 speed chain.
    I think it is just a matter of time lag. Campagnolo 11-spd has been around much longer than Shimano's. Shimano 11-spd has only been available for just a few months. I doubt if Shimano would give KMC 11-spd parts for development work as it would be for a competing product, so they would have to wait until the parts were offered for sale to the public. Even if it were dimensionally the same as the Campagnolo part, KMC would still need to test it on Shimano hardware. Anyway, give it a little time.
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Question about the new Dura Ace 9000 -- do the cassettes fit on the same 8/9/10 speed cassette bodies, or does one have to swap bodies, or buy new wheels when moving to DA 9000?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    pmf,

Unfortunately it depends on the wheel.

For instance, the Mavic's will take a 11s cassette by omitting the spacer. I have a 2013 set of SLS and the cassette fits great. I think this applies to all Mavic wheels.

My recently purchased 10s Far Sport 50mm N carbon clinchers just need a new cassette body. The edHub is $35 with $30 shipping to the US. I think the Bitex is cheaper - $25, but don't quote me. I'm still waiting on the final purchase amount. I bought these wheels last October, and I think they now all come with 11s hubs. Ask first.

The bad - my HED Bastognes. They require a $125 hub/axle and a re-dish. So these are staying on my 10s "winter" bike.

So, inquire to the manufactures directly.... any maybe take a new wheelset into account when looking into the 9000 group.

Velocipediologist
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    Thanks, i saw that KMC did an 11 speed link, but its listed as "Campagnolo only" and not sure if compatible or not. I have sent KMC an email as well asking if they do one for the new Shimano chain.

cheers
    Did KMC report back?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by metoou2 View Post
    Did KMC report back?
    No, they didnt, thanks for reminding me, hate it when companies dont reply to emails. If I hear anything I'll update this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano 11 speed chain quick connect-x11sl.jpg

check the right side of the pic. sorry, too lazy to encircle

KMC Europe
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks mann2, not sure if I can see what you are pointing at?
    This looks like an 11 speed chain compatible with both Shimano and Campy 11 speed groups, which I presume would be a direct replacement for the Shimano 11 speed chain. Far as I can tell it still doesnt mention anything about the 11 speed connectors compatible with shimano chains. If you look at the connectors link, it still only mentions compatibility of Campy chains. Who knows, maybe they are so close now it doesnt matter...

RoadBikeReview Member
    oh so sorry, failed to grasp the whole question anyhow, one of my ride buddies has switched to the kmc and returned to the stock DA chain using the missing link 11. he's not reporting anything unusual or untoward. have the same feedback from the weighweenies forums from another site hth!

www.roadiemanila.com

Velocipediologist
    Quote Originally Posted by mann2 View Post
    oh so sorry, failed to grasp the whole question anyhow, one of my ride buddies has switched to the kmc and returned to the stock DA chain using the missing link 11. he's not reporting anything unusual or untoward. have the same feedback from the weighweenies forums from another site hth!
    could you post up the W. Weenie link?

RoadBikeReview Member
    it's just a post by a member in the dura ace 9000 thread here. its somewhere in there.

www.roadiemanila.com

Re: Shimano 11 speed chain quick connect

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    I think it is just a matter of time lag. Campagnolo 11-spd has been around much longer than Shimano's. Shimano 11-spd has only been available for just a few months. I doubt if Shimano would give KMC 11-spd parts for development work as it would be for a competing product, so they would have to wait until the parts were offered for sale to the public. Even if it were dimensionally the same as the Campagnolo part, KMC would still need to test it on Shimano hardware. Anyway, give it a little time.
    KMC makes all of Shimano's chains....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Velocipediologist
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    KMC makes all of Shimano's chains....
    and that means..........................?

KMC makes a very wide variety of chains to a wide range of specs.
    It's possible they are making Shimano's chain to a completely unrelated standard that has no association to any other KMC chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Soooo, after a few emails to KMC without response and being told by a couple of LBS not to use the Campy 11 speed link, anyone have any update on availability at all for the new 11 speed DA chain master link?

cheers

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    The 5.5 mm 11-speed non-reusable links on this German KMC site are listed as 11-speed Shimano compatible.

Missing links - Verschlussglieder - Produkte - KMC Chain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    The 5.5 mm 11-speed non-reusable links on this German KMC site are listed as 11-speed Shimano compatible.

Missing links - Verschlussglieder - Produkte - KMC Chain
    thanks for that, so far it is the only reference (for what its worth) that mentions Shimano that I've seen. Might just try it and see

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    As I noted, very early in this discussion, the only thing to check is the side play between the inner and outer plates. If it's in the .004-.008 inch range, there is no reason the link won't work.

Also, there is no Campy 11 speed "link". Campy has a special pin and that's it. It's inserted into a pair of virgin outer plates, at one end of every new chain and it's not reuseable.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    the only reference (for what its worth)
    Yes, not sure what it's worth either. But it's very difficult for me to embrace the notion that KMC makes links for German use only. BTW, the last bullet reads "To open the MissingLink 11, you need chain pliers." I presume they mean "link pliers."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Interesting that the German KMC site list the 11 speed missing link as "non reusable".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Yes, not sure what it's worth either. But it's very difficult for me to embrace the notion that KMC makes links for German use only. BTW, the last bullet reads "To open the MissingLink 11, you need chain pliers." I presume they mean "link pliers."
    Could just be that the dude translating the page just assumed that it was also Shimano compatible. wouldnt be the first time that has happened. I'd like to see it on their parent website (assuming it would be an asian one) to give it a bit more cred. For the sake of a couple of dollars Im going to try it and see, was going to say whats the worst that can happen, but a chain failing while you are going full gas in a steep uphill sprint out the seat wouldnt be a lot of fun.

I found some mention on the weight weenies forum where they mentioned that the fit of the 11 speed link was much tighter than the 10 speed link and did need the link removal tool (or some form of long nose pliers I guess)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast