RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Shimano cassette compatibility

I am picking up a set of new wheels from Neugent Cycling. Instead of transferring over my current cassette, I want to use this as an opportunity to upgrade.

My current cassette is a 10 speed Shimano HG CS5600. 12-25 gears. Chain is a Shimano Ultegra HG CN6600.

My question is, can I use an Ultegra CS6700 cassette? Its the same 10 speed, 12-25 gears. Looks like the Ultegra cassette is about 50 grams lighter than my current unit.

Also, is it an easy job to install the cassette? Looks like I would need a wrench for the locking nut.

Thanks in advance.

Banned forever.....or not
    Yes you can. Any Shimano 10 speed cassette will work...To change cassettes, you need a cassette tool, an adjustable wrench, and a chain whip.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
    My question is, can I use an Ultegra CS6700 cassette? Its the same 10 speed, 12-25 gears. Looks like the Ultegra cassette is about 50 grams lighter than my current unit.

Also, is it an easy job to install the cassette? Looks like I would need a wrench for the locking nut.
    Don't kid yourself that a 50 gram saving is an upgrade. Both cassettes will shift the same and wear the same. 50 grams will make you zero mph faster on the flats and 0.01 mph faster climing. These are actual numbers, not hyperbole.

You will need a lock ring tool and a chain whip or some other way to hold the cassette cogs while applying roughly 30 n-m force with the lock ring tool. A torque wrench is recommended for installation so you get enough force on the lock ring but not so much as to damage the freehub.

Instead of a torque wrench, I use the 3/4 grunt method.
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member
    It sounds like you have never done this before.

Don't be like my ham-fisted buddy who took a brand new Campy wheel out of the box and immediately ruined the freehub trying to tighten the cassette lockring.

there's 2 ways to screw it up:

1 Overtighten and strip threads.

2 Cross thread and strip threads.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'll add some options...you can use any SRAM cassette as well. They use Shimano splines. As Kerry posted this won't get you anything, but if you want to buy a new cassette, go for it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'll add some options...you can use any SRAM cassette as well.
    And to confuse the matter further...
    Be sure to use the 1mm spacer with the Shimano cassette. But NO SPACER with the SRAM cassette.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I appreciate the info and the advice. I will call my LBS and see how much they will charge to install the cassette. I bet it isn't much.

I do want to get the tools to do the job myself eventually. I already have torque wrenches etc.

The only reason I mention weight, is that by changing out the wheels, tires, and tubes, my bike will already lose around 1000 grams. So I can just tack that 50 grams from the cassette on top of that.

The bike is a Fuji SL. The original American Classics wheels fell apart a while ago. It has some heavy Jalco wheels on it now.

The instructions with the Neugent wheels say they come with a 1mm spacer. It says my 10 spd cassette will also have a spacer. They say to use both spacers on the install.

I appreciate the info and the advice. I will call my LBS and see how much they will charge to install the cassette. I bet it isn't much.

I do want to get the tools to do the job myself eventually. I already have torque wrenches etc.

The only reason I mention weight, is that by changing out the wheels, tires, and tubes, my bike will already lose around 1000 grams. So I can just tack that 50 grams from the cassette on top of that.

The bike is a Fuji SL. The original American Classics wheels fell apart a while ago. It has some heavy Jalco wheels on it now.

The instructions with the Neugent wheels say they come with a 1mm spacer. It says my 10 spd cassette will also have a spacer. They say to use both spacers on the install.
    The wheels should come w/ a 1.85mm spacer, if you're using a Shimano 10 speed cassette that needs a spacer it will come w/ a 1.0mm spacer. If you get a 1.0 only with the wheels it's wrong.
    And yes, if you use a 10 speed Shimano cassette on an 11 speed freehub you use both spacers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    The wheels should come w/ a 1.85mm spacer, if you're using a Shimano 10 speed cassette that needs a spacer it will come w/ a 1.0mm spacer. If you get a 1.0 only with the wheels it's wrong.
    And yes, if you use a 10 speed Shimano cassette on an 11 speed freehub you use both spacers.
    You are correct. I misread what they said. They only said that one spacer is included with the wheels, not a 1mm spacer.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You are correct. I misread what they said. They only said that one spacer is included with the wheels, not a 1mm spacer.
    This will help.. Just follow the Shimano/SRAM 11-speed Freehub chart.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the chart. I was just going by the note on the Neugent Cycling instructions. It says.

“Note: On Shimano-Sram cassette bodies (they are one in the same) you will need a spacer if using it with a 9 speed cassette (which is included in the spoke package), for a 10 speed cassette (which is narrower than a 9 speed) you will need the included spacer and the one that came with your cassette. If your cassette doesn't have one you can get them at any bike shop. They are 1 mm wide”

The wheels are Neugent A300AS by the way. They are alloy, but are much lighter than my current wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree that changing your cassette is useless, especially if the only difference is 50g.

If you do decide to change your cassette, be sure to install a new chain at the same time.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    This will help.. Just follow the Shimano/SRAM 11-speed Freehub chart.

Where did you get this chart? The reason I ask is that when I use my 11-speed 6800 freehub on my 10-speed bike, I only use the 1mm spacer. If I use the larger spacer, the lockring won't go on. Am I missing something?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Where did you get this chart? The reason I ask is that when I use my 11-speed 6800 freehub on my 10-speed bike, I only use the 1mm spacer. If I use the larger spacer, the lockring won't go on. Am I missing something?
    You should be using the 1.85mm spacer to 'convert' from 11 to 10, AND the 1.0mm spacer that came w/ your Shimano (if that's what you're using) cassette.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Where did you get this chart?
    It was from an article on Cassette Spacers 2013 - Slowtwitch.com

The reason I ask is that when I use my 11-speed 6800 freehub on my 10-speed bike, I only use the 1mm spacer. If I use the larger spacer, the lockring won't go on. Am I missing something?
    Sure you have the right spacers?

An 11sp hub is 1.85mm wider, so you need the spacer to convert it to 10sp. Now that it's 10sp, you use a Shimano cassette with 1mm spacer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's possible for a spacer to get stuck on the back of the cassette, so you don't realize it's there.

Is that it?
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should be using the 1.85mm spacer to 'convert' from 11 to 10, AND the 1.0mm spacer that came w/ your Shimano (if that's what you're using) cassette.
    I'm trying to wrap my head about this. The 10-speed bike in question is a 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 which I modified with a Shimano SLX 11-32T 10-speed cassette to get better climbing gears. Then I replaced the infamous paired spoke Bontrager wheels (cracked spoke holes) with a pair of Shimano RS-21s, I used the spacer Shimano included with the RS-21 wheels in order to use the 10-speed cassette.

Then I built a pair of wheels with Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs and tried to put the 10-speed cassette on the 6800 freehub. There was not enough space for the lockring. I could not figure out what was going on here. Bike shop told me spacer was too thick, so they put in the smaller spacer, problem solved.

Is it possible that the Shimano SLX mountain cassette has different spacing than a Shimano road cassette?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    It's possible for a spacer to get stuck on the back of the cassette, so you don't realize it's there.

Is that it?
    Nope.

-- Warren Buffett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Then I built a pair of wheels with Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs and tried to put the 10-speed cassette on the 6800 freehub. There was not enough space for the lockring. I could not figure out what was going on here. Bike shop told me spacer was too thick, so they put in the smaller spacer, problem solved.

Is it possible that the Shimano SLX mountain cassette has different spacing than a Shimano road cassette?
    Anything is possible. But it shouldn't be. 10sp mountain cassette should be identical to road.

Maybe the freehub is wrong. Maybe the spacer(s) are wrong. Maybe the cassette is wrong. But something is out of spec.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Anything is possible. But it shouldn't be. 10sp mountain cassette should be identical to road.

Maybe the freehub is wrong. Maybe the spacer(s) are wrong. Maybe the cassette is wrong. But something is out of spec.
    What is even more puzzling is that the larger spacer worked on the RS-21 freehub, but didn't work on the 6800 freehub.

-- Warren Buffett

What is even more puzzling is that the larger spacer worked on the RS-21 freehub, but didn't work on the 6800 freehub.
    SLX mtb cassette won't need the 1.0mm spacer. It should fit w/ the 1.85mm spacer on the 11 spd road freehub...

RoadBikeReview Member
    SLX mtb cassette won't need the 1.0mm spacer. It should fit w/ the 1.85mm spacer on the 11 spd road freehub...
    Ahhhh, OK, so the SLX cassette IS wider than a road cassette! But that still doesn't explain why the 1.85mm spacer fit on the RS-21 freehub, but didn't fit on the 6800 freehub.

-- Warren Buffett

Ahhhh, OK, so the SLX cassette IS wider than a road cassette! But that still doesn't explain why the 1.85mm spacer fit on the RS-21 freehub, but didn't fit on the 6800 freehub.
    Some (D/A, Ultegra, and 105 I think) 10 speed road cassettes need (and come with) the 1.0mm spacer. Pretty sure the lower range cassettes don't need them. None of the 10 speed mtb cassettes need the spacer. No idea why Shimano chose to do it this way, it just causes confusion. I'm still wondering what's up w/ your problems w/ the 6800 freehub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some (D/A, Ultegra, and 105 I think) 10 speed road cassettes need (and come with) the 1.0mm spacer. Pretty sure the lower range cassettes don't need them. None of the 10 speed mtb cassettes need the spacer. No idea why Shimano chose to do it this way, it just causes confusion. I'm still wondering what's up w/ your problems w/ the 6800 freehub.
    Well, not a problem per se as it works with the smaller spacer - or at least it hasn't been a problem so far. It shifts perfectly. I'm just puzzled after reading this thread. What really got me is that the freehub on the two different Shimano 11-speed road hubs are different. Not sure which hubs Shimano uses for those RS-21 factory wheels.

-- Warren Buffett

The 10 speed Ultegra "Junior" Cassettes also don't need the 1mm spacer (Junior cassettes started with a 13 or 14) A 13-25 is on my favorite "solo" or easy ride wheel.
    Dogbert.

I>U