pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Shimano cassette compatibilty

I've got a bike with Dura Ace 9000, and another with Dura Ace 9100. I'm doing a ride with some big hills and want to put a large cassette on one of the bikes. This isn't something I'll use much, so I'd prefer saving some money and buying an Ultegra cassette. Can I put a Shimano 6800 cassette on either, or do I need 6800 for 9000 and 8000 for 9100? It would be ideal to have a cassette that works for either bike, but it's more important that it shifts well.

Forever a Student
    The 9100 has larger capacity, so use that bike. The RD can work with a larger cassette.

The 9100 will clear an Ultegra 6800 11-32 cassette on basically every frame.

You can use whatever 11 speed cassette you want, from whatever series, 6800 will be fine.

You could try the new r8000 11-34 cassette, but it might be too big for your setup on the 9100.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano changed the shift ratios with the 6800/9000 generation. I believe the 8000/9100 is the same shift ratio as the 6800/9000. Cassettes of any of these should work.

That being said, all of this could be limited by your rear derailleur depending on the length of its cage. If you have a short-cage, you may need a mid-cage.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The 9100 rear is going to work w/ the 11-30 cassette for sure. Depending on the length of your derailleur hanger it might clear a 32 but you'd then be exceeding the capacity of the derailleur. All everyone talks about is whether the upper pulley will clear the large cog. Most people forget about the other thing that a rear derailleur does, which is wrap chain. If you exceed the capacity of the derailleur you flirt w/ ripping if off the bike if you go big/big. You'd have to cut the chain so it's too long in small/small to avoid problems in big/big. Stick to the recommended cassette sizes and you won't have any issues.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I bought an 11-30 Ultegra 8000 to go on the bike with the Dura Ace 9100. It hasn't arrived yet. There's a 12-25 on it now. I'm hoping the chain on the bike is long enough. I bought a spare chain in case it isn't. I'm not in the habit of crossing the chain (big-big). Back when I started riding bikes, that was a no-no.

Thanks for the advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I'd prefer saving some money and buying an Ultegra cassette.
    There never was any real reason to put on a DA cassette. Just the same with Campy Record. They weigh a few grams less (literally worth 0.02 mph on a climb), cost a lot more and wear out a lot faster but they don't shift any better. Simple as that.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    There never was any real reason to put on a DA cassette. Just the same with Campy Record. They weigh a few grams less (literally worth 0.02 mph on a climb), cost a lot more and wear out a lot faster but they don't shift any better. Simple as that.
    Yes there was. The Dura Ace cassette came with the group. The only Dura Ace or Record cassettes I ever buy comes with the group (I always buy a frame and build it up myself). After that, it's Ultegra or Chorus for the rest of the bike's lifetime. I'm just a little new to this Shimano and Campy practice of 11-speed part 1 and 11-speed part 2. Thus the question of the 6800 vs. 8000.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The 9100 rear is going to work w/ the 11-30 cassette for sure. Depending on the length of your derailleur hanger it might clear a 32 but you'd then be exceeding the capacity of the derailleur. All everyone talks about is whether the upper pulley will clear the large cog. Most people forget about the other thing that a rear derailleur does, which is wrap chain. If you exceed the capacity of the derailleur you flirt w/ ripping if off the bike if you go big/big. You'd have to cut the chain so it's too long in small/small to avoid problems in big/big. Stick to the recommended cassette sizes and you won't have any issues.
    Exactly. My reply was the news brief, yours is the in depth article.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger