RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Shimano or Coolstop Salmon pads - work with SRAM Rival brake cartridge?

I have Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels on my old bike, which had Shimano 105 dual-pivot brakes. The 105 brakes (with Shimano cartridges and pads) have always worked very well braking with the Ksyrium SL wheel rims. I can actually lock up the rear wheel and skid if I press the brake levers hard enough.

I moved my Ksyrium SL wheels onto my new bike equipped with SRAM Rival brakes, and the braking is horrible, especially the rear set. I would have the rear brake lever depressed as far as it will go but it feels like it's doing very little to slow me down. And yes, the brake cable is properly installed, the brake caliper quick release lever is in the down and locked position, the brake pads hovering just 1.5mm away from the rim on both sides, and the pads engage the wheel rim immediately when I depress the brake lever. I can't get the pads to lock up the wheel unless I'm off the bike.

I'm thinking maybe the 105 brake pads work much better than the SRAM brake pads. So my question: Will the SRAM Rival brake cartridges accept 105 or Coolstop Salmon pad inserts, or do I have to change the whole cartridge?

Thanks!

Spokane, Washington
    Yes. SRAM and Shimano DuraAce-style brake pads are interchangeable.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!