RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Shimano Di2 RD Adjustment Issues with 2016 Cannondale Evo HM

Hi,

I was looking for any advice on the following mechanical issue that I've been trying to figure out with my 2016 Cannondale Evo HM.

Problem
    The 9070 RD barely wants to shift into the smallest sprocket, even with adjustment screw backed all of the way out. The Di2 microadjustment setting is maxed out of 12 (-12 to 12 on 25 point adjustment). I can get it to shift smoothly if I move microadjustment up, but then it won't go into the smallest sprocket and wants to overshift the biggest sprocket.

This problem seemed to come out of nowhere.

Configuration
    Shifters, FD, RD = Shimano 9070 series
    Battery = DT-BN110 internal
    Junction box = SM-EW90A
    D-Fly = EW-WU101
    Chain = Brand new HG701

Everything upgraded to the latest firmware.

Variables I've Tried and Eliminated
    RD Hanger = I've tried existing and brand new one. No difference.
    Wheels = Same problem with 2 different wheels
    Cassettes = Have tried existing cassette and as well as a different one
    Different Di2 RD = I tried a 6870 RD and have to practically max out the microadjustment (12 on -16 to 16), but at least it shifts correctly

Things I Haven't Tried
    Checking RD hanger alignment. I would be surprised to have existing hanger and brand new one both out of alignment.

Notes
    I've been using Di2 since 2012, and have 6870/9070 on 3 of my bikes. I know how to follow the adjustment protocol in the dealer's manual.

I really appreciate any ideas or help. Is this possibly a firmware issue? I wish I could make adjustments beyond the current 12 limit. I can at least get the bike functional with my 6870 RD, I'm going to France in a couple of weeks, so don't have much time to play around with this.

Thanks!
    -Pete

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by allenpg View Post
    Things I Haven't Tried
    Checking RD hanger alignment. I would be surprised to have existing hanger and brand new one both out of alignment.
    This was the first thought I had when I started reading.

No reason not to check it.

Buy the tool or bring it in to a shop, neither's too hard.
    use a torque wrench

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Hi,

I was looking for any advice on the following mechanical issue that I've been trying to figure out with my 2016 Cannondale Evo HM.

Problem
    The 9070 RD barely wants to shift into the smallest sprocket, even with adjustment screw backed all of the way out. The Di2 microadjustment setting is maxed out of 12 (-12 to 12 on 25 point adjustment). I can get it to shift smoothly if I move microadjustment up, but then it won't go into the smallest sprocket and wants to overshift the biggest sprocket.

This problem seemed to come out of nowhere.

Configuration
    Shifters, FD, RD = Shimano 9070 series
    Battery = DT-BN110 internal
    Junction box = SM-EW90A
    D-Fly = EW-WU101
    Chain = Brand new HG701

Everything upgraded to the latest firmware.

Variables I've Tried and Eliminated
    RD Hanger = I've tried existing and brand new one. No difference.
    Wheels = Same problem with 2 different wheels
    Cassettes = Have tried existing cassette and as well as a different one
    Different Di2 RD = I tried a 6870 RD and have to practically max out the microadjustment (12 on -16 to 16), but at least it shifts correctly

Things I Haven't Tried

Notes
    I've been using Di2 since 2012, and have 6870/9070 on 3 of my bikes. I know how to follow the adjustment protocol in the dealer's manual.

I really appreciate any ideas or help. Is this possibly a firmware issue? I wish I could make adjustments beyond the current 12 limit. I can at least get the bike functional with my 6870 RD, I'm going to France in a couple of weeks, so don't have much time to play around with this.

Thanks!
    -Pete
    If your low (large cog) limit screw is loose enough that the chain wants to 'overshift' then you need to adjust it properly and then chck the high (small cog) limit screw to make it's adjusted properly as well.
    Definitely check the hanger first, especially if this just started happening.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    This was the first thought I had when I started reading.

No reason not to check it.

Buy the tool or bring it in to a shop, neither's too hard.

This.

You shouldn't need to futz with limit screws on Di2. If the microadjust doesn't get your shifting right...something is off in alignment (either hanger/frame or cassette/wheel).

People have had framesets where the stock RD hanger was milled wrong. A guy on BikeForums 2 months ago had to mill 3 mm off his RD hanger to get it to work correctly....and yes that was both with the factory stock one, as well as one he bought directly from the frame maker.

Bike Forums - View Single Post - Di2 adjustment issue

Di2 adjustment issue - Page 2 - Bike Forums
    Last edited by Marc; 06-15-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

Things I Haven't Tried

You shouldn't be.

It's not a matter of a defective hanger. It's a question of whether the hanger, when attached to your particular frame, is completely true. And in my experience most hangers on most frames (even if BOTH are completely new) are not 100% true and plumb.

Don't forget, you want hanger to be perfectly straight up and down, AND side to side. There are 360 degrees in play and you want it dead on.

I've built up about 6 brand new bikes, and in every case a brand new frame and a brand new hanger, the hanger still needed some adjustment. On new carbon frames the hangers are usually fairly soft and they move around you need to have them lined up perfectly.

You clearly have lots of mechanic experience and know what you are doing, OP, but your comment here reflects a common assumption: that the hanger only needs to be looked at if the hanger itself is suspected of being "defective." But that's not how this works: even if you replace the hanger with a brand new one, you still need to make sure it's straight while on the bike.

Of course, for MANY applications, a hanger slightly off won't matter. But if you've got a problem dialing in a RD, don't even worry about changing cassettes or wheels or any of that other stuff before you've checked the hanger with the proper tool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks all! I've got a hanger alignment tool at home and will check tonight. I'll keep you posted about what I find.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    You shouldn't be.

It's not a matter of a defective hanger. It's a question of whether the hanger, when attached to your particular frame, is completely true. And in my experience most hangers on most frames (even if BOTH are completely new) are not 100% true and plumb.

Don't forget, you want hanger to be perfectly straight up and down, AND side to side. There are 360 degrees in play and you want it dead on.

I've built up about 6 brand new bikes, and in every case a brand new frame and a brand new hanger, the hanger still needed some adjustment. On new carbon frames the hangers are usually fairly soft and they move around you need to have them lined up perfectly.

You clearly have lots of mechanic experience and know what you are doing, OP, but your comment here reflects a common assumption: that the hanger only needs to be looked at if the hanger itself is suspected of being "defective." But that's not how this works: even if you replace the hanger with a brand new one, you still need to make sure it's straight while on the bike.

Of course, for MANY applications, a hanger slightly off won't matter. But if you've got a problem dialing in a RD, don't even worry about changing cassettes or wheels or any of that other stuff before you've checked the hanger with the proper tool.

So true...ALWAYS check a new hanger. It's ALL about how it sits on the frame. Hangers are pretty much always straight, but when mounted on a frame...they're almost always not.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    SOLVED!!!

Both hangers needed to be aligned. There is something with the frame that has them slightly off. I was able to get the hangers straightened enough, so shifting is smooth with the microadjustment settings in a "normal" range.

Thanks again for the help!

Forever a Student
    use a torque wrench