RoadBikeReview Member

Question Shimano Dura Ace Shift Caps ??

So both my Dura Ace ST-7900 shift levers are missing the caps that cover where the cable attaches.

I called Shimano and they gave me two part numbers (one for each side)
    Left Y6RT98060
    Right Y6RT98050

However, when I google the part numbers I get the part referred to as the "Name plate" as seen here.

I have checked a few websites with those part numbers and they all show the same component, but what I need is just the cosmetic cover (which isn't mentioned as being included with the part numbers I was given).

Does anyone know if:
    A) The part numbers provided by Shimano include the caps?
    B) Where I can get just the caps, if possible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Dura Ace Shift Caps ??-dura-ace-shifter-caps.jpg  

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Try ebay. I ran across covers for the 7700 levers when I was looking for a used set of 7700 levers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Try ebay. I ran across covers for the 7700 levers when I was looking for a used set of 7700 levers.
    Roger that... I'll check later when at home. I am at work and eBay is blocked

Question, does anyone know if the 7700 caps will work with the 7900 levers (in case I find one and not the other)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    7700 will def not work for 7900 levers, totally diff shape/style.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.” - Greg Henderson

Now it can be Told! Further Truth about De-evolution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champamoore View Post
    7700 will def not work for 7900 levers, totally diff shape/style.
    Thanks...

My first Dura ace set up

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    If they're also called "lever name plates", then there's a bunch for sale, but they're $30-$40 each!

Excel sports has them on sale ($35 each), along with one review about how much they suck (the plates, not Excel).

Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 STI Lever Name Plate - Excel Sports

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    If they're also called "lever name plates", then there's a bunch for sale, but they're $30-$40 each!

Excel sports has them on sale ($35 each), along with one review about how much they suck (the plates, not Excel).

Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 STI Lever Name Plate - Excel Sports
    Yeah, all the links I come across with those part numbers that Shimano provided me refer to the part as "lever name Plates" as well. But in all pics in those links they don't look like simple plates, they look like the picture I posted above where the cables attach too.

I'd understand if the plate covers come with those parts but I don't want to be stuck dropping that kinda coin on something that doesn't include the covers I need.

Guess I'll call Shimano back... will update

RoadBikeReview Member
    Called em back and got this link to an exploded view...

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830683887.pdf

Glad I called cause what I need is the cap as called out as #2 in the exploded view.
    Y6RT98030 Right side
    Y6RT98040 Left Side

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Indetrucks View Post
    Yeah, all the links I come across with those part numbers that Shimano provided me refer to the part as "lever name Plates" as well. But in all pics in those links they don't look like simple plates, they look like the picture I posted above where the cables attach too.

I'd understand if the plate covers come with those parts but I don't want to be stuck dropping that kinda coin on something that doesn't include the covers I need.

Guess I'll call Shimano back... will update
    Try calling Excel Sports. They usually have a pretty good selection of small parts, and the folks there are helpful.

If you run across any buckle replacements for Shimano M230 shoes, let me know.

Wanna go for a ride?
    Just curious, but how do those parts end up missing and is there a remedy for keeping them from coming off again?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark'n View Post
    Just curious, but how do those parts end up missing and is there a remedy for keeping them from coming off again?
    In my case, they weren't on the bike when I picked it up (used purchase).
    I actually just talked to the PO and he said he's got em

They appear to be screwed on, hopefully they don't come off cause they aint cheap

MXL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark'n View Post
    Buying Campy would remedy the need for those goofy caps.
    Colnago C50 WH05 Record
    Colnago MXL D21 Chorus/Record
    Colnago CT1 CTR Centaur
    Nishiki Olympic 12 Suntour

'brifter' is a lame word.
    i'm somewhat surprised that no one here actually thought of asking their lbs if they could get the parts. isn't that one of the things bike shops do? get bike parts for people? i order those type of things for people all the time...they don't have to call shimano or search ebay. is that such a strange idea?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    i'm somewhat surprised that no one here actually thought of asking their lbs if they could get the parts. isn't that one of the things bike shops do? get bike parts for people? i order those type of things for people all the time...they don't have to call shimano or search ebay. is that such a strange idea?
    This is the age of the internet. We are a culture of convenience.
    Not leaving the house and spending additional gas driving to my local shop for a couple silly caps doesn't seem logical.