RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Shimano EW-WU111 (Di2 Bluetooth module) firmware failure & dumb luck solution

Hi Folks,

I added the EW-WU111 Bluetooth module to my Di2 setup this weekend and everything went swimmingly until the firmware update failed (probably crappy WiFi signal in the garage....).

So now my E-tube software on my iPad is showing me just the battery and the right shifter and scarier than that, the red and green lights on my junction box are flashing randomly, like you would expect to see if there was a short. I thought Iíd somehow managed to fry my Di2.

After doing a bit of digging, I found several posts where people with similar issues complained that the wire connections would sometimes cause trouble. I had no good reason to think that was the issue here, but WTF...why not...so I unplugged & re plugged the left shifter and had a look to see if anything was better in E-tube. The lights on my junction box were still flashing weirdly, but sure enough, my left shifter was now visible.

So I unplugged the front & rear derailleurs and plugged them back in and presto! No more flashy lights! I had another look in E-tube and both derailleurs were now showing!

I moved my bike closer to the WiFi signal and re-installed the Bluetooth module and the firmware update went fine this time.

So I make no claim to technical expertise here. I just blundered into a fix. And since I wasnít able to find anything on this specific subject, I figured Iíd share.

Iím not sure what I was accomplishing with the unplug/re-plug. Maybe resetting the connection back to the battery?

Anyway, I hope this saves someone the 3 hours of stress it cost me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Just to contribute a vaguely similar (and equally frustrating) experience, here's a summary of a few hours of wasted time:

My LBS built my TT bike with the current Ultegra Di2 R8000-and-something groupset. It worked fine until I tried to use the e-tube app on a current iPhone. Btw, pressing the button on the junction A button for Shimano's half second or so does not cause the red and green lights to flash as other posts on the web suggest it should (no light at all in fact). It connected to the app, I changed the PIN from six 0's and then, without warning, the app immediately/automatically started to update the firmware for the D-Fly EW-WU111 component with no way to stop it. It got to 10% updated and then dropped the connection and the update failed.

And as a result, the entire Di2 then was dead -- everything did not work, not even the junction box (with no lights for any length of button press). Trawling the web suggested the only option was to connect a PC (which I had to find...). But the PC would only connect and recognise some of the groupset components (just junction A, battery and D-Fly). Amusingly, the PC e-tube software showed the D-Fly component as 'red' and needing a firmware update (or roll-back, I can't remember) but then when you tried to update it, it said this could only be done by the Bluetooth phone app, which of course was no longer connecting to the D-Fly (because of the crash in the firmware update)!

This was followed by a few mumbled words and lots of restarts of the PC software and attempts to reconnect the phone later.

Giving up on that, I decided to pull out each component from the junction A box and plugged them back in -- this caused the junction A green light to flash but still did not make the groupset work, nor allow the phone to connect. It also at this point caused some, but not all of the components to be recognised by the PC eTube software (but still not allow an update of the D-Fly through the PC).

It was not until I unplugged and plugged back in the front and rear derailleurs did the whole thing suddenly spring back to life. And then, on a Shimano half second button click on junction A, the phone also connected to the D-Fly. This then showed all components on the phone app. And finally, I could update them using the phone app, starting with the D-Fly (while holding one's breath).

Anyway, hope this helps others troubleshoot similar problems...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Shimano updated their e-tube app a few days ago... that might have been the reason...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Hi VIE,

What you describe sounds a lot like what happened to me. Maybe not identical, but my guess is that the root of the problem was the same, right down to the firmware update failure.

I guess that the physical disconnection of the components somehow resets them in the battery or something like that. I donít really understand canbus (connection system Shimano uses between components), so I can only speculate.

Glad you got it sorted.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I changed Junction A boxes from MT800 to the 90B last month with the old 101WU wireless....went to update the firmware via phone and failed midway through. Went back and resumed it and my JunctionA refused to change shifting modes (M/S1/S2) at all. Plugged it into a computer with the charger/USB interface. Nothing to fix. Tried unplugging and replugging and no luck.

Had a PCE1 debug interface. Plugged it into the Junction A and the WU...it found nothing wrong with either. But simply running the PCE debugger triggered something, and suddenly my M/S1/S2 toggle was back to working.

IMHO as Shimano had added gee-whiz features and different hardware to e-tube, they seem to be updating the KISS reliability out of it.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I hope not. The KISS reliability is/was a key advantage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanK- View Post
    I hope not. The KISS reliability is/was a key advantage.
    What is the KISS and what is it for??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017

https://rhythmic.fm/wp-content/uploa...62187918-1.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Keep It Simple, Stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016

Thanks!

LOL