RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Shimano "Optislick" cables

Time to stock up on shifter cables.

When I got a new frame a couple years ago I had what I believe was a DA 9000 Cable kit put on.
    Worked fine but the cables had what I'd describe as little string wrapped around it and that eventually gets lose in the shifter. Not really a problem but it bugs me anyway.

When I buy a stock of replacement inner shifter cables I want to make sure I DO NOT get those.

Am I correct that the "Optislick" inners are just normal decent cables and not the ones coated with that crap that comes off?

Thanks,

RoadBikeReview Member
    From what I can see, "Optislick" is a coating. I have no idea what Shimano means by "electrically coated layer". More info here:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn...optislick.html

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Shift.../dp/B01N3OWFG2

I would certainly be interested in what others here have to say..
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yeah I know it's a coating but just want to make sure it's not that stringy crap that comes off.

The last of my supply that I bought a few years ago and don't have that crap say "sil-tech". But that seems to be outdated terminology.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I could just get Jagwire rather than trouble myself with this terminology (have used those and shimano in the past and they seem to work about the same to me) but I like spending $9 more than $15.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Personally, I would stick with plain Jane stainless steel and skip any coatings. Don't know if Shimano still makes any "naked" stainless steel cables. I don't think there's anything wrong with Jagwire either.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein