Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    O.K. they must be installed correctly after all. The cable comes up from the bottom then enters straight ahead for behind the bar but right in the same area of plastic diverts 30 degrees inboard for in front of the bar placement.

Back to shifting normally, but to me, still not great and not as good as my Ergo 8s. I will have to look at other things such as the RD hanger.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    So, the ports are to be used as designed, inboard port for front of bar routing and outboard port for behind bar routing?
    Correct.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I may have missed it, but when replacing the cables, did you replace the housing as well? I'm not sure about others, but I always replace them both at the same time. Additionally, a little soap and water can get out sticky gunk from drinks and such.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    1000 miles out of a cable is insane - I'm over 8000 miles on my rear cable now, and that's with a reused housing. If you get some Shimano cable lube and put a coat of it on the last 4 inches of the cable and you will improve the live of you rear DR cable significantly.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    1000 miles out of a cable is insane - I'm over 8000 miles on my rear cable now, and that's with a reused housing. If you get some Shimano cable lube and put a coat of it on the last 4 inches of the cable and you will improve the live of you rear DR cable significantly.
    Wear inside the housing is what messes up your shifting slowly over time. Frayed/broken cables in the shifter are what ruin your day instantly. If you have thousands of miles on your housing it should be replaced. You will notice a difference.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Wear inside the housing is what messes up your shifting slowly over time. Frayed/broken cables in the shifter are what ruin your day instantly. If you have thousands of miles on your housing it should be replaced. You will notice a difference.
    Yes, the housing is a contributor for shift quality for sure - however in my case it hasn't been an issue with the upper housing. I replaced the housing near the derailleur where the bend is the tightest and not up by the bars. Still shifts like butter after 8000 miles on the cable and old housing.

People really need to spend the money to pick up that Shimano lube and use it - it will pay for itself ($20) in one cable replacement and the little tub for a private individual should last for many years.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It's really rare for Shimano shifters to fail/brake/not work permanently. Remove the cable and check it. It really sounds like either the cable is just about to let go or you just don't have near enough tension.
    I know Dura Ace 7800 series shifters are old, but mine wore down quicker than their previous Dura Ace generations (7400, 7700). I have had 2 pairs of 7800 shifters all worn out to the point that downshifting (either the left or right shifter) will not work until you give it a few click (because the downshift lever wouldn't catch on the first click try). I have not bothered to open them shifters to see why, but it's as if some cogs/gears have worn inside them shifters prematurely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Damn spellcheck.
    That's why I turned that s#!t off long time ago. I hate spell correct!!!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12