QUAILMAN85749
    Oct 2008

Shimano shifting problems

I am having some problems particularly with the left shifter dropping to the small chain ring and, it seems, both of them when the ambient air is colder. I don't like using WD-40 because over time it varnishes up, so I use powdered graphite. I take the shifters off periodically and clean them in a bucket of hot water with dish soap--let it soak, blow it out with compressed air and repeat. Then I relube it lightly. Maybe I should not lubricate at all? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks! Gil

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Chances are that during your shifter washes, water crept into very small spaces, stayed there and has promoted rust and corrosion. These spaces are so small and convoluted that compressed air and lube doesn't reach them. Perhaps a 24-hour WD-40 soak will do some good. If it does, blow out as much of the residual WD-40 you can and lube lightly with something like Triflow. Consider never washing your shifters again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    I use Yamalube YamaShield. It seems to be good for everything. It's thin, lubricates, degreases (but lubricates), cleans, and prevents corrosion.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Yamalu.../dp/B005C5DOI8

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quailman85749 View Post
    I don't like using WD-40 because over time it varnishes up, so I use powdered graphite.
    I wouldn't use powdered graphite. That could get gummy if you get water/sweat in them.

I take the shifters off periodically and clean them in a bucket of hot water with dish soap--let it soak, blow it out with compressed air and repeat.
    Wow that seams like a lot of work.

Then I relube it lightly. Maybe I should not lubricate at all? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks! Gil
    Yes you should lubricate them. No need to do anymore than this
    Ask a Mechanic: Cleaning and Lubricating Shifters
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm pretty obsessive about cleaning my bikes, but removing the shifters, soaking them... not sure that's doing you any good.

Are you certain the issue is the shifter - and not the derailleur (adjustment) and/or cable (condition/tension)?