RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Shimano SL-R770 gear indicator cover?

Does the Shimano SL-R770 come with a cap or cover for the removable gear indicator? If so, does it come with the shifter? If not, does anyone make third party covers? Thanks!

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Not sure what you mean by "removable" cap or cover—a cover for a cover? But if you're talking about item 5 on the exploded view, try odering it through an LBS.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830609221.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I don't think so. I had the left side/front chainring indicator rattling and wanted to order a new one. My shop guy told me that Shimano does not sell the indicator alone and that Shimano would send him the whole shifter, which they did, then remove the new indicator, give it to me in exchange for the rattler, which I did. Problem solved. A cover would be cool but I think it would be aftermarket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Um...

Yeah, I'm looking to cover up the hole left when the gear indicator is removed. I currently have these shifters on my psychlo-cross, and the indicator is unnecessary. My XT shifters have this cap/cover, but from my research, it looks like I can't get one for SL-770 shifter.

In any regards, thanks for the replies. I'm headed to Lowe's today to pick up a small sheet of aluminum. Going to fashion one myself. I'll post pics when it's done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Did anyone come up with a solution to do away with the indicator all together?

Quote Originally Posted by worked View Post
    Yeah, I'm looking to cover up the hole left when the gear indicator is removed. I currently have these shifters on my psychlo-cross, and the indicator is unnecessary. My XT shifters have this cap/cover, but from my research, it looks like I can't get one for SL-770 shifter.

In any regards, thanks for the replies. I'm headed to Lowe's today to pick up a small sheet of aluminum. Going to fashion one myself. I'll post pics when it's done.