RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Shimano STI Brake Housing Ferrule?

I decided to replace the stock cable inner/outers after a number of years (STI 105-5700). They had metal ferrules on the shifter end which were stuck in the shifter so I had to yank out the cables, but the ferrules seem to have fused to the plastic, are completely unremovable. Needlenose pliers did absolutely nothing because there is nothing to grab onto, so I had to start breaking up the ferrule.

After almost two hours with an awl, I've scraped most of the ferrule but there are bits in there deep that probably won't ever come out. My question is: is a ferrule needed at the shifter end for the brake cable to work properly without fraying or causing a safety issue?

Because if one is needed, looks like I'll need new shifters.

I have a mind to shoot the clown who installed this cabling.
    Last edited by Mad Cow Disease; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    No, Shimano shifters don't require ferrules on that end of the brake housing. Whether they're needed on the frame end is dependent on the frame.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Forever a Student
    Must have been a chore to get ferrules in there.

They don't fit normally.

This strikes me as a case of a lazy mechanic who thinks they know it all because they did a thing once.
    use a torque wrench

Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Must have been a chore to get ferrules in there.

They don't fit normally.

This strikes me as a case of a lazy mechanic who thinks they know it all because they did a thing once.
    That's what I was thinking. Like the last shifter the guy worked on was SRAM...'oh yeah, I need ferrules here'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No, Shimano shifters don't require ferrules on that end of the brake housing. Whether they're needed on the frame end is dependent on the frame.
    Thanks! So assuming the cable hole is clear, no major jagged edges from the old ferrule, if I jam the Shimano cable in there I should be good to go? My secret fear is that my brake cable will fray and snap as I'm coasting down a hill at 25 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow Disease View Post
    Thanks! So assuming the cable hole is clear, no major jagged edges from the old ferrule, if I jam the Shimano cable in there I should be good to go? My secret fear is that my brake cable will fray and snap as I'm coasting down a hill at 25 mph.
    If there's something in there that would damage the cable I'd hope you feel it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cow Disease View Post
    Highly unlikely. Cables generally don't snap suddenly without fraying first. As individual strands of wire break, your brake pull would noticeably increase.

This is much more likely to happen with Shimano shifter cables than with brake cables as the shifter wraps and unwraps the shifter cable as you shift.

And as CX said, if there were something in there abrading your brake cable, you would most likely feel it as you are pulling the brake.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    The real danger is that the housing won't fit in all the way, but feel like it has because it is up against whatever junk is still stuck in the lever body. Then you go to brake hard and the housing crushes he rest of the way in creating a bunch of extra slack in the cable.

It would have been better to leave the old ferrule in place, but just make sure the bottom of the hole is clean and flat so the housing has something stable to seat against.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com