RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Shimano Ultegra 6500 shifters lost a gear detent! Help!

So I was going downhill and I wiped out, falling directly into a sandy shoulder. My bike was fine, except for the fact that I now have issues with my rear shifter. After the crash, they feel somewhat gritty when shifting, and somehow it's lost a gear detent, so my 9 speed shifter became an 8 speed shifter. It still shifts fine, but the crash may have knocked a gear out of it...

What might have happened? Do you all think that somehow sand got into my shifter as I crashed in a sandy shoulder, gunking up the inside and causing me to lose a gear? Is there any way to fix this, because I've tried the WD-40 trick to attempt to clean out the shifter, but It's done nothing so far. I flushed it out afterwards with compressed air.

Any help or advice would be awesome, thanks!
    Last edited by Soundtallica; 09-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.

RoadBikeRider
    You said it feels gritty. Is that still the case? I would try another wd 40 flush...a real good one to see if that helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I just checked on the bike. The first WD-40 flush seems to have gotten rid of the grittiness, but the shifting overall has worsened. There are still only 8 gear detents (although there are still 9 when the cable is unattached from the derailleur and there is no tension) and I can't downshift now unless I hold the brake lever while I push the paddle...