Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Fast Ferd,

In all defense of brick and mortar bike shops, they are already at a severe disadvantage over internet vendors who have much, much lower expenses. Sure, everybody loves a great bargain, but in the end, there are really no free lunches.

Some bike shops are starting to price match internet stores on parts. They are making next to nothing by doing this, but it is more of a way to keep satisfied customers coming back for things like repair and future bike purchases.

How will the internet service your bike when all the bike shops go out of business?
    I hear ya, pal. I'm all for keeping them in business.
    In my case, a shop would not need to price match the lowest internet amount. Paying, say, $20 more for a $500 wholesale cost item is not the issue; it's when they want $200 more for it. I'd gladly pay the small premium all day long. But when they refuse to take a more generous offer of, say, $40 profit, they only hurt themselves.

Forever a Student
    I think I paid about $800 for the 6800 when it first came out.

It's 529.69 right now at Merlin.

The 105 is only 356.32

The new r9100 is 1159.41

Not a bad little sale they have going. No sale on the r8000 yet of course.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    I hear ya, pal. I'm all for keeping them in business.
    In my case, a shop would not need to price match the lowest internet amount. Paying, say, $20 more for a $500 wholesale cost item is not the issue; it's when they want $200 more for it. I'd gladly pay the small premium all day long. But when they refuse to take a more generous offer of, say, $40 profit, they only hurt themselves.
    So you really think they can stay in business making only $40 on something they paid $500 for? That's less than 10%. Am I reading this right?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So you really think they can stay in business making only $40 on something they paid $500 for? That's less than 10%. Am I reading this right?
    It goes back to my first post: the dealer gets hung up on this markup. He thinks he cannot stay in business with low markups. Versus stubbornly refusing to drop his price to meet the market. Then having no clue why he went out of business. Remember, the shop needs dollars to cover expenses - largely rent, utilities, wages/fringes - with enough left over to make a worthwhile living.

Not much price volatility exists on quality bicycle components. The big manufacturers give ample notice of significant changes in design and functionality. Hence, the dealer can readily unload stock, or carry it beyond the next iteration at a small price drop. (Like 6700 to 6800 to 8000.)

Said dealer can either sell ten units of my $500 example and earn a $400 profit. Or hope to hit homeruns on just two sales to do the same. Seems better off to me to increase foot traffic to sell even more goods and services.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Just updating this thread as it had been tracking pricing on R8000.

As of today, 17 August, Ribble is selling a full carbon road bike with all Ultegra R8000 for $1080.

I realize that most folks want to buy the groupset itself so this isn't a practical option, but it is an indication of the price trajectory on R800. This bike is only $80 more than the same bike with 6800 from earlier this summer.

Forever a Student
    OEMs are not dealing with a price increase at all.

r8000 is the same price to them as 6800 was.

r8000 will not be an expensive groupset, no more than 6800 was, prices will adjust in short time.

The only thing r8000 has against it right now is that 6800 is a solid groupset on it's own. 6800 was a Huge jump over 6700, r8000 is not a huge jump.
    use a torque wrench

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Does anybody know how big the differences are in performance between the two?

I pulled the trigger on 6800 a couple weeks ago because, like at the beginning of this thread, it was $400 more. Now it has come down and Excelsports.com is offering an upgrade package for $500. Just missing the crank and BB. I was able the 6800 for under $500, but now feel like I should try to get the 8000. Is it worth trying to rid the 6800?

https://www.excelsports.com/upgrade_...groupType=road

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum7 View Post
    Does anybody know how big the differences are in performance between the two?

I pulled the trigger on 6800 a couple weeks ago because, like at the beginning of this thread, it was $400 more. Now it has come down and Excelsports.com is offering an upgrade package for $500. Just missing the crank and BB. I was able the 6800 for under $500, but now feel like I should try to get the 8000. Is it worth trying to rid the 6800?

https://www.excelsports.com/upgrade_...groupType=road
    IMO, no, it's not worth it. The 6800 is an awesome set.

If you are really wowed by some of the newer features with the 8000, I would wait awhile for others to work out any possible growing pains.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    It might be worth it to you if the features are something you are interested in.

The derailleurs are probably the biggest change, with the rest having more capacity and the "shadow" design.

The front derailer had the new internal design that replaced the long lever arm of the 6800.

I saw someone online advertising a 3 piece upgrade. Two derailleurs and the 34 tooth cassette.

I personally won't benefit from these features, but some might find them "worth it".

"Worth" is a value judgement. How much you need/wany those things vs how much you value your money is going to be unique to you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    "Worth" is a value judgement. How much you need/wany those things vs how much you value your money is going to be unique to you
    I vaguely remember a time when I had a 42x23 and stubbornly refused to use the 23. Now I'm like, "I can go from 32 to 34 and it will only cost me a couple of Benjies? Hmmm."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I vaguely remember a time when I had a 42x23 and stubbornly refused to use the 23. Now I'm like, "I can go from 32 to 34 and it will only cost me a couple of Benjies? Hmmm."

Age does that to us all.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does Shimano really not offer an 11/23 cassette in the R8000 line up or is it just nobody is stocking them?
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Does Shimano really not offer an 11/23 cassette in the R8000 line up or is it just nobody is stocking them?
    nope...

Listed on the Ultegra, Dura-Ace and 105 product pages:

11-25T
    11-28T
    11-30T
    11-32T
    11-34T**

12-25T

14-28T

**11-34 is listed separately from the others.

CS-R8000

CS-HG800-11

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, that's what I thought - why in the world would they drop that? I ordered a couple to hold me over till they come to their senses.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12