Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Fast Ferd,

In all defense of brick and mortar bike shops, they are already at a severe disadvantage over internet vendors who have much, much lower expenses. Sure, everybody loves a great bargain, but in the end, there are really no free lunches.

Some bike shops are starting to price match internet stores on parts. They are making next to nothing by doing this, but it is more of a way to keep satisfied customers coming back for things like repair and future bike purchases.

How will the internet service your bike when all the bike shops go out of business?
    I hear ya, pal. I'm all for keeping them in business.
    In my case, a shop would not need to price match the lowest internet amount. Paying, say, $20 more for a $500 wholesale cost item is not the issue; it's when they want $200 more for it. I'd gladly pay the small premium all day long. But when they refuse to take a more generous offer of, say, $40 profit, they only hurt themselves.

Forever a Student
    I think I paid about $800 for the 6800 when it first came out.

It's 529.69 right now at Merlin.

The 105 is only 356.32

The new r9100 is 1159.41

Not a bad little sale they have going. No sale on the r8000 yet of course.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    I hear ya, pal. I'm all for keeping them in business.
    In my case, a shop would not need to price match the lowest internet amount. Paying, say, $20 more for a $500 wholesale cost item is not the issue; it's when they want $200 more for it. I'd gladly pay the small premium all day long. But when they refuse to take a more generous offer of, say, $40 profit, they only hurt themselves.
    So you really think they can stay in business making only $40 on something they paid $500 for? That's less than 10%. Am I reading this right?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So you really think they can stay in business making only $40 on something they paid $500 for? That's less than 10%. Am I reading this right?
    It goes back to my first post: the dealer gets hung up on this markup. He thinks he cannot stay in business with low markups. Versus stubbornly refusing to drop his price to meet the market. Then having no clue why he went out of business. Remember, the shop needs dollars to cover expenses - largely rent, utilities, wages/fringes - with enough left over to make a worthwhile living.

Not much price volatility exists on quality bicycle components. The big manufacturers give ample notice of significant changes in design and functionality. Hence, the dealer can readily unload stock, or carry it beyond the next iteration at a small price drop. (Like 6700 to 6800 to 8000.)

Said dealer can either sell ten units of my $500 example and earn a $400 profit. Or hope to hit homeruns on just two sales to do the same. Seems better off to me to increase foot traffic to sell even more goods and services.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12