RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

Shimano Ultegra R8000 officially announced

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Except the integrated power meter option (which I'm ok with)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forever a Student
    Although I use Dura-Ace and 105 both regularly, Ultegra is my jam.

Love that I can run an SS now with a 32 and that the GS officially goes to 34, so 36 will be fine on most everything. The 11-34 cassette is wonderful for many (as it also fits on 10 speed wheels).

I'm quite happy with my 9100 groupset so there's no stopping me getting this 8000 stuff. Looking forward to it, should be great. I expect nothing less than what my 9100 is giving (I can handle the extra weight, I usually carry around a poop with me up the mountains anyway).
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I'm interested in quite a bit of this. The Disc wheels are high on my list.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I wish Shimano would accept that not everyone likes having a 34T minimum crank gear on dropbar bikes. Le Sigh.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I wish Shimano would accept that not everyone likes having a 34T minimum crank gear on dropbar bikes. Le Sigh.
    Agreed, it would be great if they came out with 46/30 chain rings like FSA and others are offering now. That plus the increased cassette size would be great for off road/touring.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    lord can rear cassettes get any larger. my first modern road bike had nothing in the back larger than a 25(53-39 setup), eventually i got a semi compact with a 28 on the next one, with a compact and a 32 cog on my gravel set-up. now shimano is offering a 34 cog in the back. perhaps this is handy for someone attempting a ventoux but i'm a little dumb founded at what is by now a very clear trend. of course this will help weaker riders attack some climbs they might not have had the strenght but only the cardio to do earlier. wonder how much larger we see in the next iteration?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    lord can rear cassettes get any larger. my first modern road bike had nothing in the back larger than a 25(53-39 setup), eventually i got a semi compact with a 28 on the next one, with a compact and a 32 cog on my gravel set-up. now shimano is offering a 34 cog in the back. perhaps this is handy for someone attempting a ventoux but i'm a little dumb founded at what is by now a very clear trend. of course this will help weaker riders attack some climbs they might not have had the strenght but only the cardio to do earlier. wonder how much larger we see in the next iteration?

There's a reason why triples existed. Loaded touring, and non-pavement. Since Shimano/SRAM/Campag killed the triple with 11 speed, we have yet to get such low ratios that are legitimately needed for touring (and these days gravel/dirt-road cycling). And SRAM and its "1X" model are making things worse.

Try getting up a 15% dirt MMR road with a 34-27. You probably can't do it, no matter your tire. Or try going up a 10% grade paved road with 80lbs of camping gear on your bike with only a 34-27.

What the what???

Shimano Ultegra R8000 officially announced

There's a reason why triples existed. Loaded touring, and non-pavement. Since Shimano/SRAM/Campag killed the triple with 11 speed, we have yet to get such low ratios that are legitimately needed for touring (and these days gravel/dirt-road cycling). And SRAM and its "1X" model are making things worse.

Try getting up a 15% dirt MMR road with a 34-27. You probably can't do it, no matter your tire. Or try going up a 10% grade paved road with 80lbs of camping gear on your bike with only a 34-27.
    I'm not so sure the 1X makes things worse. I think there are tradeoffs. My Apex 1X has a pie plate 42 cog in back. The bike originally came with a 44 ring, but I swapped it for a 38 which is also part of SRAM's 1X line. I use much more of the cassette now on mostly flat roads and on a bad day, when I'm tired, the panniers are full and the overpass is looming, it's nice to know a I can dump out into a 38-42 if need be. The trade, of course, is the larger jumps.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 06-11-2017 at 05:15 AM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

yea , i know all that, but the purchase base exceeds that.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I'm not so sure the 1X makes things worse. I think there are tradeoffs. My Apex 1X has a pie plate 42 cog in back. The bike originally came with a 44 ring, but I swapped it for a 38 which is also part of SRAM's 1X line. I use much more of the cassette now on mostly flat roads and on a bad day, when I'm tired, the panniers are full and the overpass is looming, it's nice to know a I can dump out into a 38-42 if need be. The trade, of course, is the larger jumps.

IMHO it makes it worse...as SRAM's 1x movement makes it even less likely Shimano et al will reverse their decision and start making triples again.

I have an 11-32, and it already has wider gaps than I'd like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try getting up a 15% dirt MMR road with a 34-27.......
    Pretty much impossible on any bike with road tires. My rear wheel will lose traction before I run out of leg.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    It's doable, but it's a balancing act. There are more than a few dirt roads and trails around here that's I've been on with slicks that are in the teens for anywhere from a few hundred feet to a 1/2 mi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They dropped the 11-23 cassette? What the heck, why would they do that?
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    It's doable, but it's a balancing act. There are more than a few dirt roads and trails around here that's I've been on with slicks that are in the teens for anywhere from a few hundred feet to a 1/2 mi.
    You must be heavier than I am. A balancing act for sure. Unless it is well packed, if I have to go into the lowest set of gears, I will spin my rear wheel and then it's walking time. And standing is an immediate show stopper for sure.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Maybe, 215lbs here. For climbs like that, I can't really stand or sit. It's more like balancing on the nose of the saddle and moving my upper body back forth to keep the rear wheel spinning and the front wheel down. How you put the power down is equally important, it has to be smooth and constant so the faster you can spin the better chance you have. I do usually opt for my gravel bike for stuff like that with an 11-32 in back, but from time to time the road bike with an 11-28 ends up being what I have with me at the time.