RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Shimano vs. Campy freehub...how to tell the difference?

Searched the archives, and found plenty of threads about switching freehub bodies when going from Shimano to Campy, or the other way, but nothing is answering my question.

I am building up a frame and bought some Topolino wheels from a buddy. He said he's 99.9% sure the freehub body on the wheelset is a Shimano, but also gave me what he said is a Campy freehub body to go with it, just in case. What little road bike experience I have has always been with Shimano components, but I have been toying with the idea of Campy for this build.

I took a close look at both freehub bodies to try and determine which is which, and the spline pattern on both look the same. I was able to put a Shimano cassette on both. They appear to be identical, aside from a few lines/markings that go across the spines on the loose one he gave me.

So my question is, how exactly does one tell the difference between Campy and Shimano freehubs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    If you can put a Shimano cluster on it, its a Shimano freehub. Campy uses deeper splines than the Shimano 9sp format that almost all aftermarket hubs use. And they have a different number, shape and position of the splines.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979
    If you can put a Shimano cluster on it, its a Shimano freehub. Campy uses deeper splines than the Shimano 9sp format that almost all aftermarket hubs use. And they have a different number, shape and position of the splines.
    Got it, thanks. So I have two Shimano freehubs then, in other words. I thought they looked awfully similar, but having never seen a Campy one, I wasn't sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Quick way to differentiate Shimano from Campagnolo freehubs

Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    So my question is, how exactly does one tell the difference between Campy and Shimano freehubs?
    Count the splines. All Campagnolo freehubs have 8 splines. All Shimano freehubs have 9 splines.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003
    You can tell a Campy hub by the racket it makes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    There are pictures on the Park Tool website.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45

Shimano. Small splines.

Campagnolo freehub. Deep splines.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Freehub color and spline depth don't tell the whole story

Quote Originally Posted by Barabaika
    There are pictures on the Park Tool website.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45

Shimano. Small splines.

Campagnolo freehub. Deep splines.
    Unfortunately, the waters are muddier than that, and those simple descriptions aren't enough. For example:

Both Campagnolo 8spd and Shimano 8/9spd have black freehubs with small splines.

Both Campagnolo 9/10spd and Shimano Dura-Ace 10spd have silver freehubs with deep splines.

As I said before, the easiest sure-fire way differentiate Campagnolo from Shimano is the number of splines - 8 splines is always Campagnolo, 9spd splines is always Shimano. Unlike color or spline depth, the number of splines is a constant.

There are further ways to tell between Uniglide, Hyperglide, Hyperglide-C and Dura-Ace 10spd (Shimano) and pre-EXAdrive 8spd, EXAdrive 8spd, Super Record Ti 8spd, original 9/10spd and 9/10spd OS (Campagnolo).