View Poll Results: What would your choice be?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Campy shifters, campy rear derailleur + Jtek pulley

0 0%
  • Campy shifters, Shimano rear derailleur

1 12.50%
  • Stop being difficult and pick Campy or Shimano

7 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

Shimergo: Shimano Rear derailleur. vs. Campy & Jtek?

Building up a new bike, and have reached the conclusion that I'm probably going the Shimergo route - I MUCH prefer the feel of Campy brifters, but want to keep the ability to interchange my wheels between bikes - This will be road bike #3, all of my wheels are Shimano.

Build will be primarily with used parts, which brings me to my question: simply what will be easier/more reliable; going with Shimano for the rear derailleur, or Campy + a Jtek pulley?

Levers are currently Mirage 9's, to be upgraded to Athena or Chorus down the road I expect. I've been seriously considering going with DA7700 or 7800 series for the rear derailleur (frame came with a 7700 crankset), but also open to putting a Campy rear mechanism on there. Open to 9 or 10 speed, no strong preference, although current shifters will be limited to 9 (picked them up cheap just to help get this project closer to being on the road, I expect to upgrade them later).

Thoughts? FWIW, the rear mech. on my other bikes are Ultegra on one, old-school DA7400 with friction DT shifters on the other.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    if you go this route, you should actually use a Shimano rear derailleur and Jtek #3 along with your Campagnolo shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doc2g View Post
    if you go this route, you should actually use a Shimano rear derailleur and Jtek #3 along with your Campagnolo shifters.
    Thus the reason for my question... Jtek advertises one pulley model for Campy shifters + Shimano mechanism, and another for Campy/Campy, that I assume just changes the cable pull slightly for the Shimano cog spacing. Just trying to keep all of my wheels, be able to swap out for use on trainer, etc...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by doc2g View Post
    Second this, Shimano would definitely fit perfectly in this situation...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks guys... that backs up my original plan, to look for a good condition DA 7800 series rear, I was just thrown for a little bit of a loop when I saw the option on Jtek's site.

As for front, does it make much of a difference?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    not with Campy left shifters

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I just moved to all Campy from Campy levers and Shimano derailleur/cassette. Sent you a PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Debating these options almost two years ago because replacing a Shimano drivetrain wasn't worth it imo. You did say you're sticking with 9spd atm, but if that changes...

Campagnolo 10spd Shifters + SRAM RD + Shimano/SRAM cassette + any road FD

I've gotten this to work, so have many others. I'm not the best disciplined with maintenance, but this setup is much more consistent than my full 6600. Only catch is you're stuck with Powershift (so no cassette dumping) unless you find older Campagnolo 10spd Ultrashift levers.