View Poll Results: Which shoe do you recommend?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Specialized BG Pro Road (baseline price)

21 84.00%
  • Shimano SH-R220 (costing about $90 less than the Pro Roads)

1 4.00%
  • Shimano SH-R240 (costing about $45 more than the Pro Roads)

3 12.00%
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Shoes: Specialized BG Pro Road vs. Shimano SH-R220 vs. Shimano SH-R240

I originally was considering the Specialized BG Pro Road shoes and the Sidi Genius 5.5 in this thread: Link, but now I am having second thoughts after reviewing some info about the Shimano shoes. Partly this is because a fitter told me that he usually corrects out the forefoot varus wedge of Specialized shoes because effectively it is not just in forefoot. Also, I have run into some folks who seem to have foot problems who claim to have had success with Shimanos, including a sales guy at a store offering Shimano, Sidi, and Northwave.

Obviously, it depends on the fit for the particular foot, etc. But in general, I hope to hear a discussion about which shoe you recommend, and why from the following:

Specialized BG Pro Road (baseline price)
    Shimano SH-R220 (costing about $90 less than the Pro Roads)
    Shimano SH-R240 (costing about $45 more than the Pro Roads).

Thanks for the discussion...

Tom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I did not include the cost to get the Shimano shoes heat fitted in the above figures. Not sure what that will be, but I figure it will cost something, esp if I get them heat fitted at a different place from where I buy them.

old school drop out
    I can't tell you about the Shimano shoes, but I own Specialized and Sidi shoes. If one brand fits you comfortably, changes are the other will not. I really like the fit of the Specialized shoes, but the Sidi shoes have never fit well. Try the different shoes to see which fits your foot best.

I'm happy with the Specialized BG fit - I own mountain and road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    i agree with laffeaux on this, if one brand fits, the others probably won't.

i will vouch for shimano shoes. they have been extermely durable for me which is the biggest complaint i've ever had about cycling shoes, and fit my foot the best.

Old Skool

Fit should trump everything

All of them are good shoes. Fit should trump all other considerations. Get what fits you best.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Try them on. That'll tell you more than we can ever tell you.

And cost be d@mned, you spend $100 on bibs and ride them once a week. You ride in shoes every day. Spending a bit extra for a better fit is more than justified, and cost (within reason) should not be a factor.
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair

Looking for my Amish Love
    I have used both shoes. I decided to stick with the specialized as the fit my feet a little better & I like the Varus wedging built into the shoes. Less important reasons I like the spec. shoe is they are lighter, look nicer.

Either one is a great shoe. Shimano have a little wider toe box.
    In shimano I wear 43 (9.5US) & its a hair big, but shimano 42.5 (9 US) is too small. In specialized I wear a 42.5 (9.5US) & the fit is just right. Its only a difference of 2mm but that makes the world to my feet.
    Like everyone else said, pick the one that fits best.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Of course you should get the best fitting shoe. I own the 220's in wide and had them heat fit...it's a really good shoe. The upper on the 240 seems to have more of the heat moldable material in it and seems stiffer/less forgiving. FYI the 310 has even more material and feels stiffer yet...OK if you are on the pro tour but might be too stiff for us mortals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks to all for the insight!