What the what???

Shop mechs... a word...

Trying to get a ballpark estimate for the following:

SRAM hydraulic front disc brake. I would like to put on a taller stem, but there isn't enough slack in the current brake hose to make that happen. So, the job is...

Remove current brake hose
    Replace with longer hose
    Fill and bleed brake system

How much should I expect to pay for parts and labor?
    Last edited by Opus51569; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:42 PM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Can't remember how much the hose is, but we charge $40.00-50.00 labor for that job.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Can't remember how much the hose is, but we charge $40.00-50.00 labor for that job.
    Sounds reasonable. Thanks.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

What the what???
    Oy. Just got back from dropping off the bike. The guy I left it with didn't exactly instill a lot of confidence. He seemed perplexed by the fact that it was a hydraulic system and not mechanical.

coaster
    Yikes. Mountain bike shops are your new freinds. Almost all we do all day is work on hydraulic fork cartridges, seatposts, and brakes. We'd charge $30 to swap a hose and bleed a brake.

What the what???

Shop mechs... a word...

Not enough shops around to specialize (no lawsuit intended) in Mountain, unfortunately. Im hoping the guy who took the bike wont be the one doing the work. It is a large enough shop that they have a few folks who work on bikes.

No ticket or receipt... just jotted down some notes in a little note pad, took my name and number and said it would be about a week.

So... you just need a longer cable?
    A brake hose... yeah.
    So, its not a cable? [hes looking at the bike]
    No. If it was a cable, Id do it at home.
    Its not mechanical?
    Um... no... its hydraulic.
    Huh.

Im sure it will be fine... right???
    Last edited by Opus51569; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Wow! If the guy wasnt just jacking with you to be humorous, Id go get my bike and do it myself if there were no other options. Thats just me though. YMMV

coaster
    Eh, maybe he's just a new front-of-the-house guy. His notes will be passed to a mechanic who will order the correct hose and get the job done. (Hopefully)
    Woulda been good to drop off the stem you want to use so I could make the new hose the correct length. With only knowing that you want to run a taller stem I'd have to err on the side of extra hose length. Nothing really wrong with that, just a little heavier, less pretty, and less "dialed" than it could have been.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Woulda been good to drop off the stem you want to use so I could make the new hose the correct length. With only knowing that you want to run a taller stem I'd have to err on the side of extra hose length. Nothing really wrong with that, just a little heavier, less pretty, and less "dialed" than it could have been.
    I took in the stem as well. I initially measured the distance in height and was just going to give them the number, but I figured it would help to have the actual stem. Well see how pretty and dialed in it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Not enough shops around to specialize (no lawsuit intended) in Mountain, unfortunately. Im hoping the guy who took the bike wont be the one doing the work. It is a large enough shop that they have a few folks who work on bikes.

No ticket or receipt... just jotted down some notes in a little note pad, took my name and number and said it would be about a week.

So... you just need a longer cable?
    A brake hose... yeah.
    So, its not a cable? [hes looking at the bike]
    No. If it was a cable, Id do it at home.
    Its not mechanical?
    Um... no... its hydraulic.
    Huh.

Im sure it will be fine... right???

Yea...that is when after being told how long it'll take you take your bike home and figure out how to do it from Park Tool or GCN videos.

You can get the tools you need Amazon Prime and do the job Friday yourself.
    "Photograph me on horseback, wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. Tennis, no. And golf is fatal. "

What the what???

Shop mechs... a word...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yea...that is when after being told how long it'll take you take your bike home and figure out how to do it from Park Tool or GCN videos.

You can get the tools you need Amazon Prime and do the job Friday yourself.
    Funny thing is the time factor wasnt much of a concern. I know its the silly season for them and I have other bikes to ride. No rush as long as its done right and for a decent price.

Yeah, Ill have to buy my own bleed kit at some point, but I thought it was a good opportunity to support the LBS. Hopefully I dont regret it later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yikes! Let's see:

1) Can't tell difference between a cable and a hose.

2) No ticket or receipt.

I would have walked out when he said "So it's not a cable?"
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Just to pile on,

Did you already replace the stem with the longer/higher one?

If not, then how will whoever does replace the housing know how much "longer" the new housing needs to be?

Seems to me there is a potential for miscommunication here. E.g., mechanic replaces the housing with a new one and bleeds the new housing/brakes. You pick up the bike. Get home. then discover the new housing is "too short" for your future intended stem.

My other thought is that the new stem may also require a new rear housing too. Else the old rear housing may get really/too tight thus preventing turning the bar. Maybe. Don't know your bike, size, etc.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    ... take you take your bike home and figure out how to do it from Park Tool or GCN videos.
    this. how hard can it be?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

What the what???

Shop mechs... a word...

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    this. how hard can it be?
    Guess Im going to find out.

Got a call today from the shop. They took a look at it and decided the total would be $185. I told them Id be right over to pick up my bike...

So... maybe this becomes a winter project for me.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Your going to need a lot more winter projects than that, that shouldn't take more than an hour.
    BANNED

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Your going to need a lot more winter projects than that, that shouldn't take more than an hour.
    You must drink faster than I do...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Seriously, it's not that bad. Go look at some youtube videos. Clint Gibbs has a pretty good one on bleeding brakes. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    $185 is definitely steep for that job. As CX stated above, his shop charges around $40-50. Heck, for $185, you can get a full blown tune-up!
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger