TZL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Sidi Energy Carbon vs Sidi Ergo 1 Carbon

Does anyone know how the Sidi Energy Carbons compare to the Sidi Ergo 1 Carbons?

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/cycling...t_ID=MCENERGY#

http://www.totalcycling.com/ProductD...8-e028cbe1c0df

I have never seen the Sidi Energys in the US.......and they are in the low $200's at totaly cycling, which makes it seem like a better deal compared to the Sidi Ergo 1 Carbons
    Giant TCR Composite, Campy Record 10 Carbon w/ DA10 7800 cranks, Zero Gravity 05-Ti Brakes, Lew Sydneys, FSA K-Wing, FSA-OS-115 Stem, Speedplay. 6300grams/13.88lbs

Giant TCR Team Aluminum, Easton EC90SL Fork, Shimano DA9, Mavic Ksyrium SL

Giant MCR Aero, Easton Aero Fork, Easton Carbon controls, Spinergy X-Aero Extralights (yes, dangerous, i know!)

Also Giant MCM Team and Giant NRS Team Composite

85,000 gram rider.........

Adrenalina Italiana

Not much diffrence.

I'm also a big fan of the Sidi shoes.I have the Ergo limited and two pairs of the Energies that are set up with different cleats. With the carbon soles, I don't feel that I get robbed of power and all my energy is being transfer to the pedals.I tend to use these shoes with the smaller platform pedals such as the Time RXS. I also like the fit of the Ergos and the comfy insole that is used with them.

Both style shoes get better with age and start to take on the fuzzy bunny slipper feeling with time. You can't go wrong with either,one just exploits all your power to the pedals,while the other robs you of some.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

TZL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    so the Ergos just have softer insoles and different buckles?
    Giant TCR Composite, Campy Record 10 Carbon w/ DA10 7800 cranks, Zero Gravity 05-Ti Brakes, Lew Sydneys, FSA K-Wing, FSA-OS-115 Stem, Speedplay. 6300grams/13.88lbs

Giant TCR Team Aluminum, Easton EC90SL Fork, Shimano DA9, Mavic Ksyrium SL

Giant MCR Aero, Easton Aero Fork, Easton Carbon controls, Spinergy X-Aero Extralights (yes, dangerous, i know!)

Also Giant MCM Team and Giant NRS Team Composite

85,000 gram rider.........

Adrenalina Italiana

thats my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TZL
    you'll get different opinions concerning shoes.They are kinda personal,along the lines of saddles and pedals.Either shoe you wont go wrong.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

chamois creme addict

Sidi shoe info

Quote Originally Posted by TZL
    The insoles are the same. For 2005 Sidi ditched the flat grey insole and now has a better quality blue insole that has a molded arch. The new insoles are much, much better.

The difference in the Ergo1 and the Energy Carbon (and Genius 5/5.5 Carbon) is mostly in the sole. The Ergo1 uses a nylon sole with two full-carbon plates inlaid under the forefoot and along the shoe to the heel. The Energy Carbon and Genius 5/5.5 Carbon uses the same nylon sole but the plates are not a full-carbon weave, they are a thermoploastic with carbon fibers included in the mix. This is the "Hi-Tech Carbon" sole as Sidi calls it. I have used both, the Sidi Ergo1 and the Genius 5 Carbon. With Time Impact pedals, I can honestly say I do not really feel a difference in the stiffness. Maybe with a smaller contact pedal the full-carbon plates on the Ergo1 would be more noticeable.

In terms of closures, the Ergo 1 uses a heel ratchet buckle (Microlock or "Spider"), a Tecno dial-filament line buckle in the middle, and a velcro w/teeth strap at the toe. The Energy Carbon uses a heel ratchet (Microlock) and Tecno dial-filament line buckles in the middle and also at the toe. The Genius 5 Carbon uses a heel ratchet (Microlock SL, slightly cheaper design) and two velcro w/teeth straps. They all work well, but after 2 seasons I had a Tecno buckle snap on my Ergo1 when the filament line broke. They can be replaced, but they are a pain in the butt to do so. I think I prefer the simplicity of the velcro straps and heel ratchet in the Genius line. I would hate to be on the road at a stage race and break one of the Tecno buckles. It is pretty hard to damage the Velcro straps. I have a few spare Microlock buckles and straps (for the heel) and when I travel for races I always make sure I have a spare pair in the event of a crash or accidental damage.

Check eBay for the Genius 5 Carbon and Energy Carbon shoes as well.